• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Majority owner of an estate property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rjm1969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Father owns 4/7th of a property that he and my mother have resided for over 17 years, all other parties have passed away except for one cousin who I believe is in hospice. Her children will not allow her to sign over her 1/7th. I was told that he could put an ad in the classifieds and if they do not make claim within a certain amount of time they lose their rights. Is this true? And if so, could you explain how this works. In Ohio. Thank you!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Father owns 4/7th of a property that he and my mother have resided for over 17 years, all other parties have passed away except for one cousin who I believe is in hospice. Her children will not allow her to sign over her 1/7th. I was told that he could put an ad in the classifieds and if they do not make claim within a certain amount of time they lose their rights. Is this true? And if so, could you explain how this works. In Ohio. Thank you!
How does Father own 4/7 of the property? No, an ad in the classifieds won't do anything.

FarmerJ

He should speak to a real estate atty about a partition suit. This is not a do it your self matter. If the relative that you say whose kids are blocking her from selling is in a hospice It may be that if her hospice care is paid for with medicare funds that medicare will want that money when she sells her share ( they may want it already you know ) so perhaps the atty your father speaks with can address this too since its possible that woman's adult children may have the idea that if they can keep her from selling it they would gain her share when she dies. SO this is why I say to speak to a attorney this way she /he can give the best possible advice that meets your state laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">