• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage Annullment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Fredly

My son was married on July 7 of this year in Noblesville, Indiana only to be told by his wife on August 8th that she did not want to stay with him but instead wanted to move back to Indiana as she missed her family and friends. My son is in the US Navy,stationed in Norfolk, Va. He signed a lease agreement and they had moved into an apartment on August 4th in Norfolk. Needless to say, they both have mutually determined that marrying was not the right thing to do. My son was devastated inititally, but now he just wants to get the situation behind him and they both want the marriage annulled. I have done some preliminary leg work and from reading the Indiana state statues, I am not sure if there situation meets the criteria for annulment. Unless...it can be considered under Indiana statue IC 31-11-9-3 where reference is made to the "marriage being brought about through fraud on the part of one of the parties". My son fully believed that she would follow him to Norfolk and they would begin to build a solid life together...she gave him every indication that moving to Norfolk and doing everything to nuture the marriage was in her plans and she so desired to do so. Now, she wants to move back and has plans to do so this coming weekend. Can you tell me from what I have told you whether or not this marriage can be annulled vs going through a divorce proceeding. We all thought that would be the simplest, least hurtful and quickest way to get this mistake behind everyone. My son's commanding officer has told him that he will grant him a special leave to come back to Indiana and take care of the annulment but he needs to know how much time an annulment process would take, so if you could comment on that also, it would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Fredly

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fredly:
My son was married on July 7 of this year in Noblesville, Indiana only to be told by his wife on August 8th that she did not want to stay with him but instead wanted to move back to Indiana as she missed her family and friends. My son is in the US Navy,stationed in Norfolk, Va. He signed a lease agreement and they had moved into an apartment on August 4th in Norfolk. Needless to say, they both have mutually determined that marrying was not the right thing to do. My son was devastated inititally, but now he just wants to get the situation behind him and they both want the marriage annulled. I have done some preliminary leg work and from reading the Indiana state statues, I am not sure if there situation meets the criteria for annulment. Unless...it can be considered under Indiana statue IC 31-11-9-3 where reference is made to the "marriage being brought about through fraud on the part of one of the parties". My son fully believed that she would follow him to Norfolk and they would begin to build a solid life together...she gave him every indication that moving to Norfolk and doing everything to nuture the marriage was in her plans and she so desired to do so. Now, she wants to move back and has plans to do so this coming weekend. Can you tell me from what I have told you whether or not this marriage can be annulled vs going through a divorce proceeding. We all thought that would be the simplest, least hurtful and quickest way to get this mistake behind everyone. My son's commanding officer has told him that he will grant him a special leave to come back to Indiana and take care of the annulment but he needs to know how much time an annulment process would take, so if you could comment on that also, it would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Fredly
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please post on the Family Law BB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">