• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mechanics lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sdwhite

contractor who never finished work, has applied a mechanics lien on my property for 25,000. i have all receicts, cancelled checks, etc. for proof of payment. My lawyer wants me to go after HIS lawyer through the Bar, instead of going to court. Is this the right move? The contractor has NO basis for the lien whatsoever, and his lawyer knows it, but is proceeding anyway.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sdwhite:
contractor who never finished work, has applied a mechanics lien on my property for 25,000. i have all receicts, cancelled checks, etc. for proof of payment. My lawyer wants me to go after HIS lawyer through the Bar, instead of going to court. Is this the right move? The contractor has NO basis for the lien whatsoever, and his lawyer knows it, but is proceeding anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should do both. By going to court you can argue that the lien is frivolous, tell the court that the contractors attorney is a scumbag and legally dispute the lien. Go to court and prove you case, or lose your rights.

T

Tracey

Do both. I don't know your state, but in Washington, the attorney would be disciplined by the bar & fined by the court, and the contractor would be liable to you for triple damages for knowingly filing a false lien. Sic 'em!

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">