• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Tennant Questions HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaime

Since Tennants Rights clearly states that all verbal agreements are null and void, is it legal to charge for carpet fee, especially $15.00 and $20.00 per month for 3 years, without being stated in the lease? We have no protection to prove legally that these amounts were paid, or that the fee would be stopped after the third year. Our management company states that they don't have to put it in the lease, is this true? Also, after the third year, would the monies paid each month toward the "carpet fee" legally make the carpet mine? Total of $180.00+ a year, and $540.00+ after 3 years! Believe me, the carpet IS NOT worth that...it has already broken my NEW vaccuum, and isn't even secured to the floor, let alone not have any padding!
Also, is there anything we can do about the apartment maintenance? I have called problems in for months, and nothing is being done about them. We are supposed to live in a secured building with a lock on the front entrance...this has been gone for over 3+ months and anyone can walk in. Also, we have faucets dripping, cracks and splits in the walls and ceiling (that was painted over so we wouldn't notice when we moved in), the water softener and pump breaks continuously and we have to bathe in rust and dirt (who knows what else), and our clothes have aweful rust stains all over them from the water in the washers. I have so many complaints about this complex, and I would like to know what exactly (if anything) we can do about this. We have lived here for 2 years this month. Is there anything at all we can do...especially about the "carpet fee"?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaime:
Since Tennants Rights clearly states that all verbal agreements are null and void, is it legal to charge for carpet fee, especially $15.00 and $20.00 per month for 3 years, without being stated in the lease? We have no protection to prove legally that these amounts were paid, or that the fee would be stopped after the third year. Our management company states that they don't have to put it in the lease, is this true? Also, after the third year, would the monies paid each month toward the "carpet fee" legally make the carpet mine? Total of $180.00+ a year, and $540.00+ after 3 years! Believe me, the carpet IS NOT worth that...it has already broken my NEW vaccuum, and isn't even secured to the floor, let alone not have any padding!
Also, is there anything we can do about the apartment maintenance? I have called problems in for months, and nothing is being done about them. We are supposed to live in a secured building with a lock on the front entrance...this has been gone for over 3+ months and anyone can walk in. Also, we have faucets dripping, cracks and splits in the walls and ceiling (that was painted over so we wouldn't notice when we moved in), the water softener and pump breaks continuously and we have to bathe in rust and dirt (who knows what else), and our clothes have aweful rust stains all over them from the water in the washers. I have so many complaints about this complex, and I would like to know what exactly (if anything) we can do about this. We have lived here for 2 years this month. Is there anything at all we can do...especially about the "carpet fee"?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not understand the purpose for the "carpet fee" but if there is nothing stated in writing on the written lease agreement, you have not agreed to pay it. Your management company is incorrect.

As for the other problems you have, look at your State L/T laws and send the management co. a certified letter itemizing each problem and requesting repair by the State required time limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">