• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mineral Rights in West Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A Morgan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

In about one month, 1/2 mineral rights will go to a state public auction on the land that I own and reside. I was not originally deeded the mineral rights when I purchased the property.

Both owners of these rights (coal, oil and gas) are now deceased. No taxes have been paid on these rights since 1994.

My question: Instead of going to the public auction and bidding on these rights, and incurring the costs associated with auctions, can I redeem the past taxes, wait X number of years, and if heirs don't show up, I will then own the rights? I've been told that I can do that.

Please advise. Thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

In about one month, 1/2 mineral rights will go to a state public auction on the land that I own and reside. I was not originally deeded the mineral rights when I purchased the property.

Both owners of these rights (coal, oil and gas) are now deceased. No taxes have been paid on these rights since 1994.

My question: Instead of going to the public auction and bidding on these rights, and incurring the costs associated with auctions, can I redeem the past taxes, wait X number of years, and if heirs don't show up, I will then own the rights? I've been told that I can do that.

Please advise. Thanks.
**A: what did the state tell you when you psoed this same question to them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">