• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minerals quitclaimed to me, now I'm expected to sign a disclaimerto said minerals?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terikan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

A couple years ago, I "excuted a mineral/royalty/overriding royalty deed in favor of X company". I just wanted to get rid of some oil interests that were sending me tiny checks every quarter, and thought that was that.

A couple weeks ago I get a notice that a law office expects me to sign a disclaimer or they will file suit. They claim the client cannot drill without it. I will copy and paste what it says at the bottom.

What I'm wondering is, does this make sense to anyone, and can you make it make sense to me? And further, do they have any grounds to file a suit?

Here is a scan of the disclaimer with names and details redacted, sorry if it's a little hard to read due to that: http://imgur.com/E3ccv

Thanks for any info. I have not contacted them, because, well, I really don't want to, nor would I trust anything they tell me. I don't have the resources for a lawyer of my own if there's no point in it.

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

A couple years ago, I "excuted a mineral/royalty/overriding royalty deed in favor of X company". I just wanted to get rid of some oil interests that were sending me tiny checks every quarter, and thought that was that.

A couple weeks ago I get a notice that a law office expects me to sign a disclaimer or they will file suit. They claim the client cannot drill without it. I will copy and paste what it says at the bottom.

What I'm wondering is, does this make sense to anyone, and can you make it make sense to me? And further, do they have any grounds to file a suit?

Here is a scan of the disclaimer with names and details redacted, sorry if it's a little hard to read due to that: http://imgur.com/E3ccv

Thanks for any info. I have not contacted them, because, well, I really don't want to, nor would I trust anything they tell me. I don't have the resources for a lawyer of my own if there's no point in it.

You redacted and didn't supply enough information to make an informed reply. However, if the address/location of the mineral rights are the same that you quit claimed years ago then you probably have an obligation to sign the document. If they are asking you to deed over rights at another location then you MAY be entitled to additional compensation than what you received for the initial quit claim.

Either way, it sounds as though this involves a mineral rights transaction/investment significant enough to make an investment in having an attorney review the matter with you worthwhile. If there is a possibility of your making money off these rights don't cheap out on an internet message board.

Terikan

If it helps, I'm always the party involved when not the two Ltds. It says they quitclaimed it back to me. So yes I sold it to them (I don't have the previous paperwork on that), but it's like they gave it back, then want it disclaimed. I don't know why. I want to know why. Is there some legal loophole with drilling that this slips their operation through? I just don't understand.

justalayman

I suggest you ask them to explain the document.

then get an attorney to either confirm or dispel their statements.

Terikan

Okay as an update their explanation is that the assignment I signed was unclear in it's descriptor of the land involved, and in trying to get it fixed, it was mistakenly quitclaimed back to me. I'm paraphrasing as I had a go-between get this information, and it isn't clear who was trying to get it fixed and who made the mistake.

Likely, unlikely? Implications?

Terikan

isn't it as likely they could pay their own lawyer to have a judge award them the land as my earlier intent of transferring it was clear?

Mass_Shyster

isn't it as likely they could pay their own lawyer to have a judge award them the land as my earlier intent of transferring it was clear?
They will pay their lawyer a lot more to sue that they will to have your lawyer review a document to protect your interests. A lawsuit will take WAY longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">