• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile Home Eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LADA

I have owned a single-wide mobile home located in an upscale park (D/FW, Texas area) for almost 4 years now. On October 7th, I received an eviction notice from the landlord stating my October rent was late (check WAS mailed on 7th). She demanded my monthly rent payment as well as an additional $75 in what she calls 'late fees'.

I do not have a lease with the landlord. I have NEVER received anything in writing detailing rental rules and regulations, much less the landlord's opinion on fair and adequate 'late charges'.

My first question is: Can she notice me for eviction when my rent payment is ONLY seven days late? and
Secondly: Can she charge me whatever she wants in late fees without prior notification?

The unlying issue here is the fact she is on a quest to evict ALL single-wide mobile homes any way she can so she can make more money renting to double-wide homes. She has been nit-picking at the single-wide homeowners all years and has either evicted or drove all but 4 of us owners away in the past six months. In the almost 4 years I have lived here, I have been "late" (never more than 2 weeks) on my rent payment numerous times without repercussion. Now she is making it an issue as an excuse to get rid of me.

Don't I have ANY rights in this regard?

T

TxBlu

HI, I am not an attorney, but I had the same thing happen to me last year. I ended up having to file bankruptcy to stall the eviction until I had the money to move the house. It worked, but now I have ruined credit. I had read online in some legislation that was being written that they (the lawmakers) were trying to pass a law that required mobile home park owners to give longer notice of eviction deadlines:
Here is where you can find the bill

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/tlo/textframe.cmd?LEG=76&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=02015&VERSION=2&TYPE=B

[This message has been edited by TxBlu (edited October 11, 2000).]

T

Tracey

She can evict you if your rent is more than 3 days late & doesn't eve have to give you the option of paying the money. If your payment reached her before she gave you the notice, you're OK. Otherwise, you'll have to move. She can't charge a late fee unless she has a lease allowing her to do so.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">