• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Co did not want my money ????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

javier68

I just wanted to find out if my mortgage company is in the rigth. I am behind on my mortgage payments and all I could afford to send the bank was $800.00 until I can catch up on the rest. I sent them the money and they promptly returned the money stating that unless I sent them all the money owing they would not accept payment. Can they legally do this?? Someone told me that if you attempt to pay a debt and the creditor refuses to accept payment the debt is null and void. Is this correct for the state of New Mexico??
Thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by javier68:
I just wanted to find out if my mortgage company is in the rigth. I am behind on my mortgage payments and all I could afford to send the bank was $800.00 until I can catch up on the rest. I sent them the money and they promptly returned the money stating that unless I sent them all the money owing they would not accept payment. Can they legally do this?? Someone told me that if you attempt to pay a debt and the creditor refuses to accept payment the debt is null and void. Is this correct for the state of New Mexico??
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The mortgage company can do this and many do to preserve their rights. They are within their rights not accept partial payments of amounts in arrears so as not hinder foreclosure action if needed.
Do not confuse an unsecured debt such as a credit card account with secured debt such a your mortgage. The rules and creditors rights are not the same. Read your mortgage documents very carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">