• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Company Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsauck

My credit record now has two major negative marks on it because my mortgage company is not acknowledging receipt of my checks in time. 3 months of this year my checks have not cashed for up to 3 weeks! This is COMPLETELY the mortage company's fault because the office where I send my payments to is less than 10 miles from my house. I called the post office any they agreed that it does NOT take 3 weeks for the mail to go to the next suburb north of mine (Schaumburg, IL to Palatine, IL).

I sent them a letter but they are claiming it is not their responsibility when I KNOW it is their fault. My checks have been sitting in their P.O. box or in their office whithout being acknowledged. I am sending some "test" letters by registered mail to prove it.

Can I take legal action against them if there is enough evidence that it is their fault? Can I make them remove those marks from my credit record?

Jeff S.

J

jsauck

Mortgage Problems

I guess what I should have asked is: have you heard of anyone successfully taking legal action against a mortgage company for this reason (since it is somewhat difficult to prove that mailed checks are sitting in their office for weeks).

They can just blame the US Mail for being slow. Even though it is HIGHLY unlikely for it to take 13-15 business days for the post office to go from one Chicago suburb to another 3 months in a row, I guess it is technically possible.

Would a "typical" attorney be willing to take a case like this where the evidence is mainly circumstantial? What type of damages can I claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">