• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Company stalling with payoff. Is this legal??? & what can we do!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hobbyhut1

My wife and I are attempting to pay off a non conventional loan with a mortgage company and the company is dragging their feet to get us our pay off amount. Is there any legal recourse we can take or a governing body for mortgage companies? We are paying nearly $30/day in interest and it is obvious they are dragging their feet to make more money off of us.

I decided to send an $89,000 payment to cut down the principal to just a few hundred dollars until the mortgage company could get around to getting us our pay off amount. My wife got confirmation from one of their employees that an $89,000 check would be fine and we got the ok from our bank so I overnighted the payment to them. They called back and said they received the check a day later than they actually did (BIG surprise) AND they are now saying they can not accept check payments for an amount over $5,000. They said they would take 5 days to process our pay off which is absurd and then we have to wait for them to mail the amount via the UPS. Will not surprise me if they send it 2 week delivery or not at all. They said the pay off amount would be through mid February which means they will be making several hundred additional dollars off of us. I plan on overnighting a certified check for $89,000 which I'm sure they will drag their feet processing the payment.

Any advice on what we can do to counter this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Keith:mad:

HomeGuru

Check to see what federal agency governs this mortgage company. Then send a demand leter and copy this federal agency along with the FTC and your State OFfice of the Attorney General.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">