• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LCM

What is the name of your state? I live in IN. If the judge awards me the house in a property settlement and both my ex-husband's and my name are on the mortgage it is my understanding that I can't remove his name from the mortgage unless I refinance it? Is that correct? Also, if I continue to live in the house and keep making the payments, if I want to sell the house in the future can my husband step in and buy or take over payments since his name is still on the mortgage if I haven't refinanced?

HomeGuru

LCM said:
What is the name of your state? I live in IN. If the judge awards me the house in a property settlement and both my ex-husband's and my name are on the mortgage it is my understanding that I can't remove his name from the mortgage unless I refinance it? Is that correct?

**A: Correct.

Also, if I continue to live in the house and keep making the payments, if I want to sell the house in the future can my husband step in and buy or take over payments since his name is still on the mortgage if I haven't refinanced?
**A:no because you were already awarded the property in the divorce. He can step in if you default on the mortgage and/or your obligation to refinance, maintain the property by paying real property taxes, insurance etc.

L

LCM

Quick Claim deed - re:mortage divorce

IN. Can a judge order that he sign a quick claim deed over to me to remove his name from the title?

HomeGuru

Re: Quick Claim deed - re:mortage divorce

LCM said:
IN. Can a judge order that he sign a quick claim deed over to me to remove his name from the title?
**A: yes but it would only be fair for him to sign the deed at the time you refi and take him off the mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">