• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage increased ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shamu

At the begining of the year my mortgage company increased my payment $65 a month - we have a 30year fixed rate loan. I have called them every month to get an answer as to why it increased. They fumble and bumble and tell me different stories and say we will send you documents - i recieve nothing showing why it has increased - taxes went up $100 and ins went up $5. What other rights/actions can I take. Is this normal?

Thanks,

John

HUD-1

Escrowing for taxes and insurance sounds like an easy task. However, the rules regarding the escrow account are very complex. They are also highly regulated by the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. (RESPA)

It sounds like the lender did an annual escrow review, came up with a shortage and is now raising your monthly payment to fully fund your escrow account. (Perhaps they have been collecting too little per month over the last year?) They need to explain this to you in an annual statement. Get a copy of it and see if the disbursements were correct. Make sure the amounts going out agree with your tax and insurance bills.

The good news is that I have never heard of a borrower getting ripped off by a lender via their escrow account. The money that goes into the account pays only your bills and is your money. In fact, they have to pay you the interest the account generates. Also, you should find out if the $65 is a permanent increase or is part of it permanent and part of it temporary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">