• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rjkiegel

I have a mortgage through a local Baltimore bank and recently called to determine how much principal I would have to pay to reach the 80% LTV ratio in order to drop the PMI. I was told that the ratio is based on the original loan amount regardless of any increase in property value. For example, if the original loan was for $100,000, I would need to pay the principal down to $80,000 before the PMI could be dropped. However, I know that my property value has increased and that the outstanding principal on the loan may be well under 80% of the current value. I would be very willing to pay for an appraisal if I knew the bank would accept it. What are the State and Federal laws regarding this and how should I go about resolving this situation? Thanks to anyone with advice.

L

ljmvann

Banks make alot of money on PMI, and they try to make it difficult for anyone to drop it from my understanding. My friend had a difficult time getting her bank to drop the PMI on her house after she was down to 80% of her principle. She had to have a new appraisal (and even then her bank gave her a hard time.) I have heard there might be a newer law relating to your situation, but you would probably do well to contact an attorney specializing in real estate.

I wonder if you could refinance and get rid of the PMI that way?

Please note that I am not an attorney of any sort. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">