• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother and son Dual owners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nanato2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
My Mother, and my brother are dual owners of our old home property--6 acres, with 2 domiciles(?). The original home is rented out, and my mother lives in the mobile home next to it.

Mother has taken a down-turn in health (89 years old), and putting her into a nursing home MAY be in the near future.

What will happen to the property, IF she does go into a nursing home?
She gets a social security check of approx. $1600.00 a month, is on Medicare, and has supplemental insurance with long-term care coverage, but I am not sure how much--6 months, or so.

I am completely ignorant of probate--don't even know what that is...sorry. No one in the family has any interest in the property, but do not want our brother to lose it, since he has invested so many years in improving the property, and looking after Mother.

Again, my question is: will the state, or the nursing home, take this property, if Mother has to be commited to a nursing home?

Thank you---I may be in the wrong forum..

nanato2

Thank you, SeniorJudge. I was hoping YOU would be the one to answer my question.

Now, how would this be accomplished?
Surely a property lien would/could take too long--they (the nursing home) would want their money as the bills were running up, correct?

So, would it work like in a divorce? Where one party "buys" out the other? There is a loan with the property as collateral, in both their names.

I guess my new question is: Will he have to sell the place, even if the nursing home doesn't "take" it?

nanato2

HomeGuru,
I appreciate your response.
This thread keeps getting sent to somewhere, that I can only access thru my Profile, so, I guess it is closed...at the very least, it is not viewable(?).
I was asking for my brother's benefit, but I know the rules, so I will just drop it, now.
Thank you.

seniorjudge

Thank you, SeniorJudge. I was hoping YOU would be the one to answer my question.

Now, how would this be accomplished?
Surely a property lien would/could take too long--they (the nursing home) would want their money as the bills were running up, correct?

So, would it work like in a divorce? Where one party "buys" out the other? There is a loan with the property as collateral, in both their names.

I guess my new question is: Will he have to sell the place, even if the nursing home doesn't "take" it?
Yes, you could buy her portion out and she could use the money to pay the nursing home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">