• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My barn is on neighbor's land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Washwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa

My barn is sitting partly on the neighbors land. It is straddling the property line by about 3 feet and the entire length of the building..about 60 feet. It has been there for a century. We spent quite a bit of money 25 years ago to save it since it was falling down, ...and it's been a lovely restored building which has plumbing, electricity, heat, and a space for an overnight guest. It was built in 1907.

The neighbor who inherited the land next door wants to plow his land rightfully to plant crops..and wants it removed. I fear that if I do nothing he can sue to make me.

The historic society says it is unimportant to them and they don't care if it's torn down. I do not have the money to stop him. SO my question is, what can he do legally?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa

My barn is sitting partly on the neighbors land. It is straddling the property line by about 3 feet and the entire length of the building..about 60 feet. It has been there for a century. We spent quite a bit of money 25 years ago to save it since it was falling down, ...and it's been a lovely restored building which has plumbing, electricity, heat, and a space for an overnight guest. It was built in 1907.

The neighbor who inherited the land next door wants to plow his land rightfully to plant crops..and wants it removed. I fear that if I do nothing he can sue to make me.

The historic society says it is unimportant to them and they don't care if it's torn down. I do not have the money to stop him. SO my question is, what can he do legally?
**A: he can force you to tear it down or he can do it and bill you for it. At least the part of it sitting on his property. Have you researched adverse possession to see if you meet the criteria?

Washwo

He won't sell. He won't talk. He wants his land. He want's the barn GONE. 3 attorneys tell me it's 20K to to an AP claim, and then he can appeal, so it'd be 40K. I make $18K a year and support an ailing spouse and parent, while my son is in college. Why is a legal issue seem to always be about money?

Washwo

Thanks everyone. Looks likes we'll let him tear it down. Sad, but there's nothing to do, and nobody at fault. Just is what it is..Sure appreciate all the remarks.

Antigone*

Heck you could have on heckova barn raising party!

How hard would it be to move, especially since it means that much to you?

Washwo

It was built in 1907, and is on the National Register of Historic Landmarks. That's part of the problem, because the city does not want it torn down. It is a living space and quite lovely..one of the few remaining buildings of it's kind in the west. I put 120K into in many years ago, and it's been a great place for visiting professors and others over the years.

To move it, we'll have to take down an ancient monkey puzzle tree, a old cedar tree, bulldoze next to it, and slide it over..the estimate was $60K. That's the problem. The answer is always money it seems. But nobody really cares that much but me. Since it IS my problem.

HomeGuru

It was built in 1907, and is on the National Register of Historic Landmarks. That's part of the problem, because the city does not want it torn down. It is a living space and quite lovely..one of the few remaining buildings of it's kind in the west. I put 120K into in many years ago, and it's been a great place for visiting professors and others over the years.

To move it, we'll have to take down an ancient monkey puzzle tree, a old cedar tree, bulldoze next to it, and slide it over..the estimate was $60K. That's the problem. The answer is always money it seems. But nobody really cares that much but me. Since it IS my problem.
**A: and in all these years you never bothered to get a boundary survey?

Kiawah

Swap chunks of land. He gives you the land that the barn is on, you give him a nice adjacent chunk of what you have.

Should work unless he views the barn as an eyesore, and his goal is get rid of it. Should be way cheaper than moving it.

Last edited:

LdiJ

**A: and in all these years you never bothered to get a boundary survey?
Why would the OP? The barn has been there for over 100 years. Why would anyone assume that they needed to get a boundary survey for something that had been there for 100 years?

OP, your neighbor doesn't want to incur the costs of tearing down your barn. Your neighbor wants money or something else in exchange for leaving your barn alone. Your neighbor's gain in the increased crop income will never overcome his cost of tearing down your barn...not for 3 feet's worth.

You apparently don't have any money but if you have land you can exchange that would be the way to go. Find out what your neighbor wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">