• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my ex won't move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmk422

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland.
Is there any legal action I can take to get my ex fiance to move out of my house. I guess I should say our house. We've lived together for over six years. We bought our current home about three years ago. Three years before that we bought a condo together., I put $20,000 of my own money down to buy the condo. He convinced me to refi so we could have some spending money. He blew most of the money. Part of it he spent on an engagement ring for me. We made a good deal of money when we sold it and bought our current home. Since then he has gone into considerable credit debt, he owns back taxes and has been unemployed numerous times including now. He convinced me again to refi to help him pay off his debts. He got some paid off but is still in considerable debt. We used to owe $255,000 and now our mortgage is higher than the cost we actually paid for the house. Because of the market the house isn't even worth that much now. He has pretty much treated our house like ****, it's a mess. For me to even think about selling I need to do a lot of work on the house but it's almost impossible with him living here. His stuff is everywhere. He is unemployed, doesn't help me with any of the bills. The title and the mortagages are in both of our names but I am the only one whose really paid the majority of the bills since we moved in. He currently has not one penny to his name. I'm paying all the bills which I can't really afford including a new higher mortgage which is really a culmination of our second mortgage and his old debts. I just want him to move out so I can get a roomate to help me with the bills while I get the house in order to try to sell it but he refuses to leave. He sits around all day eating my food, watching tv playing on the internet, all things which I pay for. He has said in the past that I would have to buy him out but because of him I have no money. also because of him all of my original investment has disappeared. what can I do. I really don't want to go into forclosure. The only thing I have managed to not do is ket my own credit go up on flames. He has pretty much destroyed me and is continuing to do so because of the house we own together.

JETX

Thank you for sharing that wonderful story with us.

And though you didn't ask a legal question.... presumably, you are wondering what you can do to force him to move from HIS home (yes, he has an EQUAL ownership interest in the property).

You really only have two options:
1) File for divorce and hope that the court orders him to vacate... of course, the court will likely order the property sold and assets split, or
2) File a 'suit for partition' and the court will hear the statements of both owners and will, hopefully, order the property sold and assets split.

Other than the above, there is no way for you to force him out of HIS house.... just as there is no way for him to force you out of YOUR home.

FarmerJ

Gather all the reciepts for mortgage payments and taxes and ins and away from home tally up the totals to learn exactly what you paid in payments alone, then store them in a safe place like a bank box and go see a atty with your totals to learn what it will take number wise to buy him out or to sue for partition. If it truly adds up to be that lopsided then when it comes to court and a partition suit he might give up and decide to get on with his life elsewhere with what is offered. TV, well I guess you can have cable or satelite tv shut off to save your self some money. Internet WELL if you can live with out it for a while have it shut off too. If not then spend the money if you must to have someone via telephone support tell you how to password the computer & block its connection to the net. FOOD well buy what your going to eat daily like fruit etc , keep meals light and easy , youll lose some weight and so will he when he figures out the meal ticket is over. do your self a favor and go get both a bank box and a post office box so you will not have problems with your mail or reciepts vanishing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">