• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My girlfriend locked me out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

Delaware:
Last year i bought a house with my girlfriend and we broke up right before closing. We purchased the home anyway do to a binding contract. With that we had an attorney right our own contract which stated what we would pay ect. In the contract it clearly states that i am allowed on the propert whenever and for whatever reasons. Throughout the last year we have been on and off. Most recently we were on and i have been living here the last 4 weeks. We would go to movies, dinner, and do normal boyfriend girlfriend stuff. Up until weds things were fine and then all of a sudden she locked me out completely. I had clothes, shoes, material posessions, and my phone charger in here. i tried to call her and text her to let me in but she wouldnt let me in to get my stuff on top of that she owed me some money....it was to the point where i had to call a locksmith. She filed harassemnt charges against me cause of that 1 day i called and texted so i could get my belongings. My question is:
1) is it illegal for her to lock me out like that w/out notification due to the contract
2) Are these harassment charges legitimate

Thank you

Without assuming anything here regarding the home, you are on the title to the home? This is your primary residence?

If the answer to those questions is "yes", then no, she cannot just lock you out, and she can be held responsible for the locksmith bill if you really wanted to press the issue.

As far the harassment, anyone can make claims to the police. Have you been formally charged? If there have been no formal charges by the D.A., then what you have is a report on file with the Police Dept., that will be used against you in any future complaints being made by her, i.e; stacking them up so you look bad.

If you don't see this relationship as anything that can survive the test of her, it would be wise to liquidate the property and get away from her, before you wind with more legal problems that you want.

If you want to keep the home and buy her out of her share, this is something you can propose to her, but don't expect cooperation if she's already pulling this crap. Bottom line, do whatever is necessary to separate you from her without losing your investment or your freedom.

If she ever does anything like this again, immediately file for a Restraining Order, keeping her from the property, until you've had a chance to get her in front of a Judge so she can explain why she's acting like a child. This is of course assuming you're not instigating these issues. :rolleyes:

[email protected]

Without assuming anything here regarding the home, you are on the title to the home? This is your primary residence?

If the answer to those questions is "yes", then no, she cannot just lock you out, and she can be held responsible for the locksmith bill if you really wanted to press the issue.

As far the harassment, anyone can make claims to the police. Have you been formally charged? If there have been no formal charges by the D.A., then what you have is a report on file with the Police Dept., that will be used against you in any future complaints being made by her, i.e; stacking them up so you look bad.

If you don't see this relationship as anything that can survive the test of her, it would be wise to liquidate the property and get away from her, before you wind with more legal problems that you want.

If you want to keep the home and buy her out of her share, this is something you can propose to her, but don't expect cooperation if she's already pulling this crap. Bottom line, do whatever is necessary to separate you from her without losing your investment or your freedom.

If she ever does anything like this again, immediately file for a Restraining Order, keeping her from the property, until you've had a chance to get her in front of a Judge so she can explain why she's acting like a child. This is of course assuming you're not instigating these issues. :rolleyes:

Yes I am on the title. Is this my primary residence??? Yes/No i stay here alot but when we fight i stay at another house where most of my posessions are. I do own alot of the furniture at her house. Pay part of the mortgage, and i Have a legally binding contract that says ""MY NAME" is allowed on the property for any and all purposes" Wouldnt her locking me out be a breach of that contract?? Seeing that she knowingly locked me out with my pocessions in the house??

[email protected]

So is this both of yours home, or is it her home? Be careful how many times you refer to this home as "her home", if in fact this is your home too, at least part of the time.

What is this "contract" that you speak of?
yes this is my house I pay part of the mortgage and per the banl I am completly liable also I am on the deed. Contract states that basically I am to pay the mortg w her and who claims what on taxes. Also states that I am responsible for the upkeep the yard ect. It states I am allowed on the property for any amd all purposes. My name is on everythin on this house its my credit that got us this house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">