• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My name not on deed!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

williams1985

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm British and built a house in Florida 10 years ago with my partner (we were not married). I have recently found out that he did not put my name on the deeds but instead put his mothers name. I have no proof that the property is mine but I put 7 years worth of money into that house and I do not want to walk away from it. What can I do?? please help!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I'm British and built a house in Florida 10 years ago with my partner (we were not married). I have recently found out that he did not put my name on the deeds but instead put his mothers name. I have no proof that the property is mine but I put 7 years worth of money into that house and I do not want to walk away from it. What can I do?? please help!!
What evidence do you have that you were supposed to be on the deed? Quite frankly, if you were not married, what you put into the house was nothing more than rent. You are most likely owed nothing unless you have a written contract stating you were to be put on the deed. Even then, that is a long shot due to the statute of frauds.

latigo

I wouldn't have you roll over as the previous somewhat less than creative response suggests. Not just yet.

First consult with a Florida trial lawyer versed in real property law about bringing an action against not your "partner" but against his "mother" for deraignment of title under Section 65.O61et seq. of the Florida Statutes. And asking the court to impose a constructive trust for your benefit on all right, title and interest that she claims to have in the subject property.

I am assuming that you have been in actual possession of the home since day one. And that just might alleviate any problems with any statutory period of limitations, including those mentioned in Section 92 of those statutes.

Space and time doesn't permit me to provide much detail, but give it try. Moreover the lawyer my have better ideas. You have to much time and money invested to simply walk away from it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's slow down here. I think an important piece of information to know is if the OP is actually IN Florida.

justalayman

What is 7 years worth of money (seriously, explain what that is supposed to be referring to)? And if the house was built 10 years ago, why have you only put 7 years worth of money into the property?
Why is it in the mothers name?
Is there a mortgage? If so, in whose name is it?
How much money compared to the total investment have you actually put in and can you prove it?
You say you built a home; were you actually pounding nails or do you mean you hired it to be built? If hired, are you a party to any of the contracts involved with any contractor?

Your mention no agreements between anybody especially you, your partner, and your partner's mother. Were there any and if so, can you prove any of them?

Way to little information to guess he may have a right of claim to the title. Way too little info to guess at much of anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">