+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    MattHunter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4

    My name was put on bills that I am not responsible for

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

    I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since utility deal with the home this was my best choice.

    The electric company and gas company put my name on my mother's bill because they claim that all members in the household 18 and over must have their names on the bills. I haven't heard anything like that and neither has anyone else I asked. Some people say that it might be a missed payment and the companies are looking for someone to pay. But that's not true because we just moved in and these are our first bills so there is no "missed payment". Is this all legit? I live in Portsmouth, VA.
  2. #2
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHunter View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

    I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since utility deal with the home this was my best choice.

    The electric company and gas company put my name on my mother's bill because they claim that all members in the household 18 and over must have their names on the bills. I haven't heard anything like that and neither has anyone else I asked. Some people say that it might be a missed payment and the companies are looking for someone to pay. But that's not true because we just moved in and these are our first bills so there is no "missed payment". Is this all legit? I live in Portsmouth, VA.

    I guess the question is, do you want power or not
  3. #3
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    16,060
    That's very odd. My name alone has been on the gas and electric bills up here in Northern Virginia and I've had other people on the deed (my wife before we were married) who have never been on the bill, let alone several long term roommates who were not either.
  4. #4
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    snowland
    Posts
    10,688
    Matt it is not unheard of for utility firms to have LLs send to them a copy of a tenants lease, the reason for it has to do with loss prevention since many utilities have had problems with people who have unpaid bills living with others who do not have history of unpaid bills, If the utility learns there is another party of legal age living at a address I can see why they would require that person to be on the account too, it will help increase the odds of them not getting left with unpaid bills in the future. If your mom lives in your household just make sure your utility bills are always paid and there will be no problem.
  5. #5
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Posts
    21,220
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That's very odd. My name alone has been on the gas and electric bills up here in Northern Virginia and I've had other people on the deed (my wife before we were married) who have never been on the bill, let alone several long term roommates who were not either.
    Sounds like an issue of credit worthiness to me...I'm just sayin
  6. #6
    MattHunter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    Matt it is not unheard of for utility firms to have LLs send to them a copy of a tenants lease, the reason for it has to do with loss prevention since many utilities have had problems with people who have unpaid bills living with others who do not have history of unpaid bills, If the utility learns there is another party of legal age living at a address I can see why they would require that person to be on the account too, it will help increase the odds of them not getting left with unpaid bills in the future. If your mom lives in your household just make sure your utility bills are always paid and there will be no problem.
    I can understand why they'd do it but I just want to know if it's legal or not and I certainly want to know if they only pick select persons to do this to. Btw it's my mom who is head of household, not me.
  7. #7
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    snowland
    Posts
    10,688
    One place you might be able to get a answer is to talk with your states utility regulatory agency, If they know of a state law that prohibits this practice they should be able to tell you the statute and its number. Keep in mind many utility systems are for profit companys and if something is not prohibited by law until they are fought in court they will do what ever they wish.

Similar Threads

  1. who is responsible for these bills???
    By kidzndogz in forum Health Insurance and HMO Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2005, 09:04 AM
  2. responsible for bills??
    By JaLee715 in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 12:47 PM
  3. am I responsible for the bills?
    By etb in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2002, 01:23 PM
  4. who is responsible for bills
    By cltoml in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2002, 10:59 AM
  5. responsible for bills
    By peach in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2001, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.