+ Reply to Thread
    MattHunter is offline Junior Member

My name was put on bills that I am not responsible for

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since utility deal with the home this was my best choice.

The electric company and gas company put my name on my mother's bill because they claim that all members in the household 18 and over must have their names on the bills. I haven't heard anything like that and neither has anyone else I asked. Some people say that it might be a missed payment and the companies are looking for someone to pay. But that's not true because we just moved in and these are our first bills so there is no "missed payment". Is this all legit? I live in Portsmouth, VA.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHunter View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I wasn't sure where else to put this. Since utility deal with the home this was my best choice.

The electric company and gas company put my name on my mother's bill because they claim that all members in the household 18 and over must have their names on the bills. I haven't heard anything like that and neither has anyone else I asked. Some people say that it might be a missed payment and the companies are looking for someone to pay. But that's not true because we just moved in and these are our first bills so there is no "missed payment". Is this all legit? I live in Portsmouth, VA.

I guess the question is, do you want power or not
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    That's very odd. My name alone has been on the gas and electric bills up here in Northern Virginia and I've had other people on the deed (my wife before we were married) who have never been on the bill, let alone several long term roommates who were not either.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Matt it is not unheard of for utility firms to have LLs send to them a copy of a tenants lease, the reason for it has to do with loss prevention since many utilities have had problems with people who have unpaid bills living with others who do not have history of unpaid bills, If the utility learns there is another party of legal age living at a address I can see why they would require that person to be on the account too, it will help increase the odds of them not getting left with unpaid bills in the future. If your mom lives in your household just make sure your utility bills are always paid and there will be no problem.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That's very odd. My name alone has been on the gas and electric bills up here in Northern Virginia and I've had other people on the deed (my wife before we were married) who have never been on the bill, let alone several long term roommates who were not either.
    Sounds like an issue of credit worthiness to me...I'm just sayin
    MattHunter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    Matt it is not unheard of for utility firms to have LLs send to them a copy of a tenants lease, the reason for it has to do with loss prevention since many utilities have had problems with people who have unpaid bills living with others who do not have history of unpaid bills, If the utility learns there is another party of legal age living at a address I can see why they would require that person to be on the account too, it will help increase the odds of them not getting left with unpaid bills in the future. If your mom lives in your household just make sure your utility bills are always paid and there will be no problem.
    I can understand why they'd do it but I just want to know if it's legal or not and I certainly want to know if they only pick select persons to do this to. Btw it's my mom who is head of household, not me.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    One place you might be able to get a answer is to talk with your states utility regulatory agency, If they know of a state law that prohibits this practice they should be able to tell you the statute and its number. Keep in mind many utility systems are for profit companys and if something is not prohibited by law until they are fought in court they will do what ever they wish.