• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights living upstairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmiwane

I live upstairs in a townhouse in Hawaii. The first day we moved in, the people downstairs complained first that we were installing hard wood flooring but all we did was put in a thicker carpet pad. But they complained to the association about every sound. We are early sleepers about 7:00pm. We've been trying are best to not make noise but it's not good enough to them. We are walking around on egg shells. I am planning to put in sound underlayment padding, But I know it won't be enough for them. What would I need to do to get them off my back Thank Hawaii

The Unit was built in 1992 also I found out from my other neighbors that the tenants before me had the same problem with them, that is why they didn't buy the unit.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Learn what your local city/county noise ords are so are sure you havent violated them. Once you know exactly what they are then carefully review your docs for the unit to see if they address noise issues , Last , If this structure is a older one you can learn if it was to meet any local sound control standards when It was built or converted to townhome from your city /county zoning desk. If your unit was built with out soundproofing then rely on any restrictions tied to the property as to what you can or cannot do to sound proof your units flooring. You can also tell them you no longer wish to listen to any complaints about noise unless the police have been called and found you in violation of local noise ords.

rmiwane

Thanks for the reply, Also If I've done all I can to keep the noise down can the HOA still write me Violation letters? Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">