• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my understanding per the bylaws of one vote/unit owner correct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Max77088

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

As per the below bylaw how many votes does the owner of 5 condominiums get? Below is the bylaw

Bylaw:

Voting: Voting shall be based upon the undivided interest of each unit owner in the general common elements. An owner of an undivided interest in and to a condominium unit shall be entitled to a vote equal to his ownership interest in such unit. Cumulative voting is prohibited.

Max
Houston, TX

Last edited:

OK-LL

Yes, it is one vote per owner, but each owner's vote may not be the same weight.

If each unit has an equal undivided interest in the common elements, the votes are equal. But if one owner has 50% undivided interest in the common elements (usually this means he has a larger unit and pays higher assessments) and all others have 12.5% undivided interest in the common elements, then the first owner's vote is greater than all other owners together, and his single vote will carry any issue. So it is important for the purposes of voting that you determine each unit's undivided interest in the common elements -- this is usually set out in the governing documents and is usually included in the legal description on each deed.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

By the way, cumulative voting refers to when you have an election where you vote for multiple candidates. Lets say there are three seats up for election and I'd get to vote for three. Cumulative voting means I can cast all my votes for one candidate rather than picking three to vote for among the slate. It's fairly common in shareholder meetings to allow a minority group to pool together to get ONE member on the board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">