• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Property Tax Default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FrugalFem

North Carolina

I know of some property with a home in which the taxes have not been paid for 2 years. The owner has received notice by the county commissioner of foreclosure or garnishment to recover the taxes. I was told I could pay the taxes and be in possession of the certificate. If the third year goes into default then I could again pay those and would then own the property. Is this correct? Would the mortgage company have priority in obtaining the tax certificates? Could the mortgage company or current owners force me to sell the certificates back to them? Also, if obtained the property by paying the taxes; what happens to the home and the mortgage? Whom would be best to consult to answer my questions? I fear a realtor would "snag" the property and I don't know if it's worth consulting an attorney if there isn't some truth to what I've been told. Thank you very much in advance for your time to respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">