• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice about my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rolejnik

I live in a condo in Miami, FL. I own the condo, and have to pay monthly maintenance fees. The condo association is trying to put a lien against my unit for unpaid fees from July 2001-May 2002. I have the canceled checks as proof that I not only submitted these payments but that they cashed the payments. When I went to the condo association president's unit to clear up the manner, she told me I was stupid, irresponsible, and immature. She also told several people who live in the building that it is because I do not pay my bills that the association cannot afford repairs that are neccisary. I now have to put up with every person in this building being extremely nasty to me, and she said unless I pay all of the payments again plus a $25.00/month charge that the matter would have to go to court. What should I do?

Also, do I have the legal right to sue her for defamation of character?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

rolejnik said:
I live in a condo in Miami, FL. I own the condo, and have to pay monthly maintenance fees. The condo association is trying to put a lien against my unit for unpaid fees from July 2001-May 2002. I have the canceled checks as proof that I not only submitted these payments but that they cashed the payments. When I went to the condo association president's unit to clear up the manner, she told me I was stupid, irresponsible, and immature. She also told several people who live in the building that it is because I do not pay my bills that the association cannot afford repairs that are neccisary. I now have to put up with every person in this building being extremely nasty to me, and she said unless I pay all of the payments again plus a $25.00/month charge that the matter would have to go to court. What should I do?

Also, do I have the legal right to sue her for defamation of character?
**A: I do not see what the first problem is. All you need to do is send a certified rrr letter to the HOA with a letter of explanation and copies of cancelled checks providing evidence that you have paid current your HOA obligations.
As to the second issue, yes you can sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">