• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need a Attorney to review my commercial lease.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riguy5000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? San Diego CA

Hello, My name is Edward and i am looking for an Attorney to review my Commercial lease agreement. i am currently working on a lease in a retail shopping mall . now the lease itself in 68 pages.
the landlord asked me to review it with my attorney. i tried to find some local ones but they dont fit my budget.
my questions are.
what will it cost to review 68 pages lease agreement.
and does any one know a not expansive lawyer in San Diego Ca.

Thank You.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello, My name is Edward and i am looking for an Attorney to review my Commercial lease agreement. i am currently working on a lease in a retail shopping mall . now the lease itself in 68 pages.
the landlord asked me to review it with my attorney. i tried to find some local ones but they dont fit my budget.
my questions are.

Thank You.
A) We do not give referrals here. Click the Find a Lawyer button.
B) If you can't afford an attorney, how can you afford a lease in a shopping mall? A real estate lawyer is a business expense.
C) No one here is going to review your lease for you.
D) It may cost 2 or 3 hours of work.

quincy

my questions are.

Thank You.
The FreeAdvice forum is not a lawyer-referral site. You can find an attorney in your area of San Diego by contacting the California Bar Association. There is no way any of us here can guess at what an attorney will charge you to review a 68 page lease agreement - lawyers' fees vary widely - but I agree with the landlord that a personal review by an attorney of the agreement is smart prior to your signing it.

Here is a link to the California Bar Association: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/

Good luck, Edward.

riguy5000

i got quoted 2500 , which to me seems to much . that's why i was try to find some one cheaper in the area. also all the lawyer needs to do is just to review it.
let the search continue .

Thank you.

riguy5000

also i just called a local school of law . and they said that students offer legal advice , filling paper work ... would that be suffusion enough for the landlord or do i need a licensed lawyer ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
also i just called a local school of law . and they said that students offer legal advice , filling paper work ... would that be suffusion enough for the landlord or do i need a licensed lawyer ?
That's a personal/business decision. Do you feel comfortable with it?

quincy

Law students can only offer advice under the supervision of a licensed attorney (often a professor at the law school).

If you think the $2500 flat fee quoted by one attorney is too high for your budget, then you should call other attorneys to compare and contrast their rates. You could find an hourly rate works out being less than a flat rate, especially if there are no problems with the lease agreement that requires additional research time for the attorney.

It is ultimately up to you what to do. I agree with Ohiogal, though, that an attorney is a business expense that should be included as part of any business budget.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i already went throw all the pages on the lease . whatever i asked for i found in it, i am not sure how will the attorney be of help.
Do you know ALL of the ramifications of what you are signing? Can you understand EVERY WORD of the lease and EVERYTHING every word means? Do you realize the restrictions that the lease gives to you? Do you understand the protections (probably very few) to which you are entitled? Do you know and under the statutes of the state you are in and all of the case law and how that applies to commercial leases?

If you answered NO to any question, you need an attorney.

quincy

i already went throw all the pages on the lease . whatever i asked for i found in it, i am not sure how will the attorney be of help.
An attorney might find what you didn't ask for. ;)

Just know that, once you sign the agreement, you are legally bound by all of its terms and conditions. You are expected to know exactly what it is you are signing before you sign. If you are comfortable with your knowledge of contractual terms and the conditions as outlined in the 68-pages of the agreement, you can sign without an attorney's review. This is not recommended.

edit to add: It seems we are posting at the same time again, Ohiogal. I guess it is a plus that we are saying essentially the same thing. :)

Last edited:

latigo

The thing is, Edward that there isn't going to be anything in that magnum opus to your benefit. So think of everything and every way the landlord can screw you over and somewhere between the whereas's, wherefore's and parties of the first part, second part, etc., etc. you will find it. If not now, later.

The other thing is you ain't going to lease the space unless you sign it. It ain't open to negotiations! You weren't told to have it reviewed by your lawyer to suggest changes.

Then again, you might get by as did Grouch and Chico Marx in the thriller "A Night at the Opera". You and landlord take turns tearing out a page until you come to the signature lines. Then having a pen with no ink, shake hands.

Now about California lawyers. They come in fat and tall. But ones "not expensive" are on the endangered species list. Somewhat (a lot, in fact) like the California Condor. "Condor" being a vulture on steroids.

steveedward

Regarding tax attorney payment

If you go through yellow pages directory, you will find number of tax attorneys. As per lawyer cost it depends on them what is the mode of their payment. Some of them charges on the basis of per hour and some of them on the basis of per service. As you have to get review your lease agreement of 68 page, you can discuss with him the payment mode. It can be on the basis of one complete task.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">