• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to break lease because of new job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wolfsdove

I had heard that in the state of GA if you took a job more than 50 miles from home you could break your lease . Does anyone know if this is true. I talked to my landlord and am paying for the ads to re-rent the place plus showing the house. She says that even if i do this i will be held responsable if people move out before my lease is up. But she is making them sign one year lease doesn't this mean my lease is broken as of the day they move in.

Tracy thank you for making things clearer for me. So what i should do is break the lease and only pay rent till it is re-rented.

[This message has been edited by wolfsdove (edited July 09, 2000).]

T

Tracey

You can't get out of the lease. However, if L makes the new tenants sign a lease for a term beyond the expiration date of your lease, your lease is broken & L can't come after you if the new tenants skip out. On the other hand, if you sublease, L can still go after everyone for any damages/breach. When you sublet, you are not breaching the lease & it remains in effect. you are responsible for the sublettor's actions. When you simply break the lease & pay rent until L re-rents the place, the lease is broken & you are not responsible for any of the new tenants' actions.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">