• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to break lease help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wolfsdove

I need to break my lease. And was wondering if it is true that in GA if you take a job more than 50 miles from home that you can break the lease without being held responsable for the rent for the rest of the lease time. My husband took a job 150 miles from home. We have to move please help

L

loudrich

NOPE you are responsible for the rent....unless its a Military transfer

So you tell the landlord you want to move tell him to put ads in the paper and let him show the apartment, If he rents it for August 1st, then He owes you the security deposit...which you will NEVER get since you are moving far away.

The owner has a duty to mitigate damages, so if you move out july 31st, he has your security for August, if he doesnt rent it you are liable for Septembers rent......

But there is a defense......a landlord just tried to pull it in new York City and didnt get away with it......the landlord advertised the apartment at 40% more then the last lease rate.....of course nobody rented it.....they took the former tenants to court, and the tenants defese was... if they at charged what we were last paying it would have been rented in LESS THEN ONE DAY...the judge agreed and the landlord LOST the 4 months rent he was trying to screw out of the former tenants!

---------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolfsdove:
I need to break my lease. And was wondering if it is true that in GA if you take a job more than 50 miles from home that you can break the lease without being held responsable for the rent for the rest of the lease time. My husband took a job 150 miles from home. We have to move please help<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">