• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to get out from under my parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geehrh00

What is the name of your state? MD
My husband and I own a house with my parents (all 4 on the deed). We hold the mortgage. My parents are letting their side of the house go. The structure of the house is in jeopardy. Also the appearance (landscaping and general cleanliness) is abhorant. Does anyone have suggestions on how to either force them to take care of their side-or to help us get out. We could move but we still owe on the mortgage. They don't want to move because they virtually live for free. We have had this arrangement for over 15 years and literally cannot take it anymore. My dad keeps rewiring things and I am afraid for safety reasons. I hope someone can help.

What is the name of your state?

dmiller12

Can I suggest finely crushed glass in the morning oatmeal? Just kdding.

You could take over all landscaping duties and handle all the cleaning. If you lived there on your own you'd have to do both anyway. That solves two of your problems.

As far as the bad electrical work, try calling the fire warden or the local code enforcer and tell them about your wacko dads dangerous electrical fetish.

Not great answers perhaps, but that's why it's really NOT a good idea to split ownership in a house like this - especially with your nutty parents. :)

It seems to me that you are cutting off your nose to spite your face by not simply making up for their short comings. It's your house too.

Stay tuned, there might be a legal remedy too.

geehrh00

Thank you so much for your reply. We hadn't thought of the oatmeal but believe me there have been other things thought of. Yeah, I hear you as far as taking care of the things ourselves but the problem is, my Dad doesn't want to reliquish any control. It was their house to begin with (I grew up in it). My husband and I took out a mortgage to pay of the exsisting one and have a huge addition put on, fix up there side and pay off all of their bills. At that time we put our names on the deed. It is stated right to survivorship. It wasn't until I got a little older when I realized what a control freak my father is and he refuses to conform to anything or anyone. He is one of those eccentric, cheap, can fix everything himself type of people that I just can't take anymore. They (my parents) are relatively young and I don't want to be cleaning up their mess when they're gone (could be another 20 yrs.) Help me! If I do get an inspector in, and they find all of these things that are unsuitable or unihabitable, what happens to my side of the house? I wonder if my family would have to leave too. Please answer back. I really appreciate it.

FarmerJ

If you bring a inspector in push for condemnation / no one can live in the unit till its brought up to code by licensed electrician. IF your dad refuses to leave keep pushing the city to enforce the rules , Once he is out then inform him you can do the work if he agrees to let you buy him out and if he doesnt you will start a partition suit and force the sale of the home. Tell him you no longer care one way or the other it will happen. BTW your side of the house should be fine IF the other half is not being lived in.& affected utility shut off. Add the numbers up, and if nothing else work on your mother & put your salesmans hat on, perhaps she will see things your way when she learns how little they will get if you force a sale thru the courts. BTW adding the numbers up means the cost of the repairs to the unit , the totals of the payments you made for PITI, figure out what half of the PITI is and then go to a Real estate atty. A Atty should be able to help you with presenting a pre partition suit offer to buy them out and a possible post partition suit number of what they might get.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">