• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with foreclosure ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gene61

What is the name of your state? fl
we are being foreclosed on and everything is in my husbands name is on . Hes filing bankruptcy to save our home. We got papers today for the foreclosure hearing and he is the defendant but on the bottom is says,unknown parties in possession, N/K/A, and then my name and our addy. Can they sue me as well,even though nothing is in my name at all?? I am confused. What does n/k/a mean? I am so confused. I can't handle the stress of it all and I thought since his name was on everything that I did not have to be involved at all. We have seperate accounts, Can they go through my account? Since he is my husband, and is the one being sued and the one filing what is my role in this all. What will happen with me since nothing is in my name? Is it just a legal thing to put the spouse in there? Do I have to go to court? Any info would be apprecieated. My email is [email protected] Thanks TIffany

HomeGuru

Gene61 said:
What is the name of your state? fl
we are being foreclosed on and everything is in my husbands name is on . Hes filing bankruptcy to save our home. We got papers today for the foreclosure hearing and he is the defendant but on the bottom is says,unknown parties in possession, N/K/A, and then my name and our addy. Can they sue me as well,even though nothing is in my name at all??

**A: yes. Your husband is known as a debtor in possession and you are known as a party in possession since you are not on the mortgage.

I am confused. What does n/k/a mean?

**A: commonly means "now known as".

I am so confused. I can't handle the stress of it all and I thought since his name was on everything that I did not have to be involved at all.

**A: you are wrong because of your married status.

We have seperate accounts, Can they go through my account?

**A: the mortgage lender can not touch your account but the BK Trustee has a right to that information.

Since he is my husband, and is the one being sued and the one filing what is my role in this all. What will happen with me since nothing is in my name?

**A: your name , SS#, income, taxes paid etc. must be included on his BK petition even if he files as an indivdual and not jointly. Read the paperwork so you understand what is involved. Consult an attorney.

Is it just a legal thing to put the spouse in there?

**A: yes.

Do I have to go to court? Any info would be apprecieated. My email is [email protected] Thanks TIffany
No, provided your husband and his legal counsel does.
Counsel should also represent you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">