• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help getting out of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ec226

I live in CT and lease an apartment. For the past week, there are squirrels running through my ceiling and now urine has started to stain my ceiling and my apartment smells terrible. I have called my landlord 6 times about this problem and I am getting the run around about it getting fixed. It seems he can't get in touch with the pest control person and can't do anything about the ceiling until the squirrels are removed. I started moving my things out. I have not been able to sleep there in about a week. I do not want to live there anymore but the landlord is giving me a hard time about moving and threatened to sue me for the remainder of lease. Also a few months back, someone tried breaking into my apartment while I was home and sound asleep. So besides being unclean I do not feel safe living there any longer. Can they sue me for this?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ec226:
I live in CT and lease an apartment. For the past week, there are squirrels running through my ceiling and now urine has started to stain my ceiling and my apartment smells terrible. I have called my landlord 6 times about this problem and I am getting the run around about it getting fixed. It seems he can't get in touch with the pest control person and can't do anything about the ceiling until the squirrels are removed. I started moving my things out. I have not been able to sleep there in about a week. I do not want to live there anymore but the landlord is giving me a hard time about moving and threatened to sue me for the remainder of lease. Also a few months back, someone tried breaking into my apartment while I was home and sound asleep. So besides being unclean I do not feel safe living there any longer. Can they sue me for this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they can, but they would not win as long as you give L proper WRITTEN notice that you have terminated the lease based on just cause (those valid problems). The squirrels should be living with the landlord, he is the nut. Tell him, "urine a lot of trouble Mister".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">