• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a legal document to protect a neighbor during construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piperpa18

Hi,
I live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and I'm currently trying to kick off construction of my primary residence on a vacant lot in the city. It's been such a process to get to this point and it's coming apart at the seems. On my right is another vacant lot and on my left is a single story garage. Both neighbors are giving me some headaches as I try to secure access to their properties for a couple of brief phases of my construction project; once during trenching for some slight over-dig on the right and once during siding to allow scaffolding and ladders on both sides. I can't believe the city doesn't have provisions to accommodate this considering every property in the city is essentially line to line.

The neighbor with the lot might be willing to work with me if I can provide some sort of legal document protecting him from law suits should someone (either one of my GC's workers, or subs, or another civilian) venture onto his property and get hurt. What type of document do I need, where can I get one, and how much would it cost?

The neighbor on the left is proving even more difficult. I just mailed a certified mail receipt letter to her in an attempt to start some communication. She is a ghost up to this point. All I have from her is a letter she wrote to the city when I applied for my variance expressing concerns and essentially voting "no" to my project; saying she doesn't want anyone on her roof at all.

Thank you very much. This is a stressful time with much riding on this.

adjusterjack

Property rights are property rights. Nobody has any obligation to allow you access to within their property lines for your convenience.

Hi,
The neighbor with the lot might be willing to work with me if I can provide some sort of legal document protecting him from law suits should someone (either one of my GC's workers, or subs, or another civilian) venture onto his property and get hurt. What type of document do I need, where can I get one, and how much would it cost?
It's called a "hold harmless and indemnification" agreement. You can google and find samples on the internet and work out the details with your neighbor. Many are free but if you want a lawyer to write one for you, you'll have to ask the lawyer about the cost.

Hi,

The neighbor on the left is proving even more difficult. I just mailed a certified mail receipt letter to her in an attempt to start some communication. She is a ghost up to this point. All I have from her is a letter she wrote to the city when I applied for my variance expressing concerns and essentially voting "no" to my project; saying she doesn't want anyone on her roof at all.
Then I suggest your next letter include an offer of money in exchange for her cooperation. Offering money is likely to start the communication rolling. Then it's just a matter of how much her cooperation will cost you and whether that cost is acceptable to you or whether you get your house built somehow without stepping foot on her property.

TigerD

Your construction people will have work on your land from your land.
Why would anyone be on the neighbor's roof? I'd put a stop to that too.
There is much here that is undisclosed.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">