• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor blocking right of way of private way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracyhugs

What is the name of your state?[/FONT]What is the name of your state?Massachusetts

I have land that abutts a private way. My deed states that I have use of private way and rights of way used in connection with my land, for all purpose for which rights of way are commonly used. It states that the private way is 20'. I have a neighbor who is blocking the right of way of this private way with their vehicle. I was told by the accessors office to call the police and the police stated they can't do anything. I was told of a law (title 720) from a local law library which basically states that no one can block any street or private way and will be towed. I was also told by someone in the area that everyone owns half way out onto the street. When I retrieved my deed and lot map, I noticed that this neighbor has a enclosed porch built onto the street. I also know that the prior owner built the porch, but I don't know yet if they had permission. What are my rights and is there anything I can file in court to keep this neighbor from blocking this private way. Thanks :(

Last edited:

HomeGuru

tracyhugs said:
What is the name of your state?[/FONT]What is the name of your state?Massachusetts

I have land that abutts a private way. My deed states that I have use of private way and rights of way used in connection with my land, for all purpose for which rights of way are commonly used. It states that the private way is 20'. I have a neighbor who is blocking the right of way of this private way with their vehicle. I was told by the accessors office to call the police and the police stated they can't do anything. I was told of a law (title 720) from a local law library which basically states that no one can block any street or private way and will be towed. I was also told by someone in the area that everyone owns half way out onto the street. When I retrieved my deed and lot map, I noticed that this neighbor has a enclosed porch built onto the street. I also know that the prior owner built the porch, but I don't know yet if they had permission. What are my rights and is there anything I can file in court to keep this neighbor from blocking this private way. Thanks :(

**A: yes there is so contact a real estate attorney and he/she can help you.

T

tracyhugs

thanks

Thanks for you input. I have tried calling one lawyer and spoke with a secretary, but they wanted $1500 up front, do you think it is possible that I can go pro sec? If so, what would be my next step? Thanks

T

tracyhugs

I found out this neighbor is part of a condo association and that their deed states

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I found out that the neighbor who is blocking the right of way of this private way is part of a condo association and that their deed states the same as mine does. I had a title examiner go back to the original owners and it states the same thing. I also found out that this neighbor has their enclosed porch on the private way, but the prior owners built it. Someone stated somewhere that it is possible it is illegal with this enclosed porch and I might be able to have them bring it down. What can I do about this law called title 720 with the police dept.? I can't afford an attorney right now, but I don't want these people thinking I have given up, because I will never give up on our rights. Please help with some tips? Thanks

JETX

Best tip of the day..... get an attorney. You are clearly way over your head in the legal issues.... and will need the services of one anyway if you want to resolve these issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">