• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor building structures on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rittenour

What is the name of your state? Texas

I moved into my house 3.5 yrs ago, and my neighbor has always complained about the ownership status of the strip of property between our houses. I had a survey conducted, and it clearly revealed that the property in question is mine. He has built a children's playhouse (sunken into the ground via 4x4 in cement) and a sidewalk on my property, and he has also destroyed my shrubs and bushes. I have written him several times, and after much effort, he has replaced the bushes and moved the sidewalk so that it now exactly borders the property line. However, the kid's playhouse remains on my property, and I am worried about liability if a child is hurt on the structure.

I would appreciate any ideas/feedback that anyone has - this neighbor knows that the property is technically not his, but he is not a very rational person. Thank you very much.

H

hexeliebe

Speak with a real estate attorney in your area and have him/her review the documentation you have. If he/she deems it necessary, they can write a letter demanding the structure be moved to the neighbor's property or you'll have to take the matter to court.

HomeGuru

Rittenour said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I moved into my house 3.5 yrs ago, and my neighbor has always complained about the ownership status of the strip of property between our houses. I had a survey conducted, and it clearly revealed that the property in question is mine. He has built a children's playhouse (sunken into the ground via 4x4 in cement) and a sidewalk on my property, and he has also destroyed my shrubs and bushes. I have written him several times, and after much effort, he has replaced the bushes and moved the sidewalk so that it now exactly borders the property line. However, the kid's playhouse remains on my property, and I am worried about liability if a child is hurt on the structure.

I would appreciate any ideas/feedback that anyone has - this neighbor knows that the property is technically not his, but he is not a very rational person. Thank you very much.
**A: dig up the playhouse and drag it back onto his property or take him to small claims court and force him to remove it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">