• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor and Driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ivanl

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

The driveway that leads to my neighbor's house is on my property. It states in his deed, as well as mine, that access to this driveway is granted by license by me and can be revoked at any time. He does not dispute the fact that I can force him to stop using it any time I want. There is nothing physically stopping him from putting in his own driveway, he just doesn't have the money to pay for it. About a year ago my wife and I decided it was time that he put in his own driveway. I told him (verbally) and he agreed to do it last summer. It never got done. I approached him again in March and he said he planned on starting on it soon. Nothing has started. I am now at the point where I feel I need to begin the formal (legal) process of shutting him out.

Questions:

1.) When my lawyer sends him the letter informing him that he has X days left to use the dirveway, what should X be (I'm thinking 60 days)?
2.) Who should be copied onthe letter (magistrate, etc.)?
3.) What will happen if he simply cannot come up wit hthe money to put in the driveway. Due to the length required, I'm figuring it will cost him about $10K to get it done. Someone suggested that a magistrate may force him to pay us monthly for access. I hope this doesn't happen. I don't want his money. I just want him off my property.

HomeGuru

ivanl said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

The driveway that leads to my neighbor's house is on my property. It states in his deed, as well as mine, that access to this driveway is granted by license by me and can be revoked at any time. He does not dispute the fact that I can force him to stop using it any time I want. There is nothing physically stopping him from putting in his own driveway, he just doesn't have the money to pay for it. About a year ago my wife and I decided it was time that he put in his own driveway. I told him (verbally) and he agreed to do it last summer. It never got done. I approached him again in March and he said he planned on starting on it soon. Nothing has started. I am now at the point where I feel I need to begin the formal (legal) process of shutting him out.

Questions:

1.) When my lawyer sends him the letter informing him that he has X days left to use the dirveway, what should X be (I'm thinking 60 days)?

**A: 60, 45 or 90 days is ok.
2.) Who should be copied onthe letter (magistrate, etc.)?

**A: you, the client.
3.) What will happen if he simply cannot come up wit hthe money to put in the driveway. Due to the length required, I'm figuring it will cost him about $10K to get it done. Someone suggested that a magistrate may force him to pay us monthly for access. I hope this doesn't happen. I don't want his money. I just want him off my property.

**A: I don't know. Terminate the license and then call the police for trespassing. It will end up in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">