• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor enclosed his property by utilizing my fence as one side

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lopaka

I live in Texas, am a home owner. I built a wooden fence around my property. Recently I have had a new neighbor move in next door. He has decided to put up a chain link fence to hold in his dogs. Without consulting,or asking me he has run his fence up to mine so that the fourth side of his enclosure is MY FENCE. What are my rights or options? Can he do this?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lopaka said:
I live in Texas, am a home owner. I built a wooden fence around my property. Recently I have had a new neighbor move in next door. He has decided to put up a chain link fence to hold in his dogs. Without consulting,or asking me he has run his fence up to mine so that the fourth side of his enclosure is MY FENCE. What are my rights or options? Can he do this?

My response:

Prior to the Civil War, the open-range cattle industry made rapid strides in Texas. Grass was free, and the only property ranchers owned was horses and cattle. Each rancher claimed grazing rights for as much land as he could hold. Although they had no title to their so-called holdings, ranchmen were willing to enforce their claims with six-shooters. But by the end of the reconstruction, the free range that had fostered the great herds of the early days was beginning to feel the encroachment of the homesteaders or farming "nesters" upon their former pastures.
These homesteaders came with legal claims to the land and insisted on fencing their legitimate holdings to keep out wandering herds of cattle.

When the constitutional convention of 1875 was holding its sessions, the fencing problem had not yet reached major proportions for fencing was an expensive proposition. But a number of the Granger members of the convention had been informed of the invention in 1873 of a new, inexpensive fencing material known as barbed wire. With remarkable foresight, they envisioned that this new material would have serious repercussions on the economy of Texas, and suggested that a provision be placed in the constitution permitting the legislature to pass fence laws should the need therefor arise.

By 1883 the state was involved in a fence-cutting war. It was part of the conflict between landless cattlemen who wanted to retain the practices of the open range, and those who bought barbed wire to fence the land to establish themselves on permanent ranches. Most of the ranchmen owned or leased the land they fenced, but some of them enclosed public lands when they enclosed their own, and others strung their wire about farms and small ranches belonging to other persons. Often the fences blocked public roads; in some instances they cut off schools and churches, and interfered with the delivery of mail. This unwarranted fencing led some men whose land was not actually fenced in to join in the fence cutting.

Wrecking of fences was reported from more than half the Texas counties, and was done mostly at night by armed bands who called themselves Owls, Javelinas, or Blue Devils. Often those who destroyed fences left warnings against rebuilding, but these were usually disregarded. The clashes discouraged farming and scared away prospective settlers.

In spite of the provision in the constitution, politicians shied from the explosive issue, but on Oct. 15, 1883, Governor John Ireland called a special session of the legislature to meet on January 8, 1884. After a deluge of petitions and heated debates, the legislature made fence cutting a felony punishable by one to five years in prison. The penalty for malicious pasture burning, which often accompanied fence cutting, was two to five years in prison. Fencing of public lands or lands belonging to others knowingly and without permission was made a misdemeanor, and builders of such fences were to remove them within six months. Ranchers who built fences across public roads were required to place a gate every three miles and to keep the gates in repair.

These measures ended most of the fence troubles, although sporadic outbreaks of fence cutting continued for a decade, especially during drouts.

So, shoot the @$%&@* !

IAAL

S

shaylahc

I'm confused. Why are you upset? I have lived in several subdivisions and this is standard practice. What would be the point in erecting another fence if there is already one there? Would you have rather seen him put a chain link fence all along the edge butting up to your fence?
I personally don't see anything wrong with what he has done. And as long as the fence is on the property line (or inside your property) I don't think that legally there is anything you can do.

L

lopaka

I am upset because I paid $700 for that side of my fence. He has connected to it with CHICKEN WIRE, and I mean "CHICKEN WIRE" to enclose that side of his property. This includes the front edge and back edge of my fence. He Probable paid what - $10 for his "CHICKEN WIRE". He is enclosing his yard so that his dogs can roam freely now and not ruin his new carpet. Thanks for your advice Sha- nay-nay. Evidently you have never paid for anything and then had someone else try to use it to their advantage. Lopaka in Texas.

R

radeck

I'm with Shaylahc.
It is common practice. The first fence builder incurs the expense of building a 4 sided fence and those that follow, simply build the other 3 to enclose their property.
If a fence were to be built, as you seem to propose, how would you maintain the distance between the two fences?
Or is the problem simply that he didn't build to suit your standards in fence material?
If chain link suits his purpose and there are no fence stanards rules in your area, he seems to be on solid ground.
Chain link isn't "chicken wire" and is probably the most common fence material in urban areas.

L

lopaka

Chicken wire/Chain Link

Rad we are from texas we know chicken wire from chain link , what you don't
see is that the man run his chain link fence in the front and side of his house,
but when he got to my side of the fence he hooked chicken wire into his chain
link fence and then ran a 25 foot link of chicken wire on to the front side of my
fence and on the back side he ran a 5 foot section of chicken wire from his daughters chain link fence into my fence.......We don't have a problem with chain link,,,but rude and crude is another story. Thanks but we don't guess
anybody really gets the problem.

B

broker1234

To Fence Or Not To Fence...

I can relate to your feelings. We have fenced in our backyard with a 4' white vinyl picket fence and spent several thousands of dollars in material AND labor to make this an attractive yet practical solution for our little dogs to remain inside our boundary. I wouldn't want anyone else taking "hold" of our fence as our investment adds value to our home. Have you contacted your neighbor and discussed this issue with them? Depending on your approach, they may realize an "oops" on their part and gladly correct the problem. The last thing most new neighors want to do is piss off their neighbors. Are you in a subdivision? Are there restrictions? Is the fence on your side of the property line? If so, your neighbor is encroaching upon your property. I think there is a way to handle this without spoiling the welcome of your neighbor. They may not know protocol with real/personal property. Perhaps this is their first home in Texas or anywhere for that matter. Use tact. If you've already confronted them and it went badly, apologize with a batch of brownies or whatever and work things out. Best of luck!

L

lopaka

Thanks for the pep talk it's a damned if you do or don't situation sometimes
Hope no one ever ever trys to tie into your lovely white picket fence it sounds heavenly. ;)
LOPAKA

JETX

Lopaca:

Though I sympathize with your plight, it is not an uncommon one.

You asked, "What are my rights or options? Can he do this?"

Answers:
Rights:
To my knowledge there are no state laws prohibiting a neighbor from 'tying' to your existing fence itself, but there are some other issues that could help you.

Options:
1) Is the fence ENTIRELY on your property?? If so, then the neighbor is encroaching on your property by his putting a fence OVER the surveyed property line. You could force him to put HIS fence on his side of the property line. Note that this 'buffer zone' wouldn't be accessible to mowing, etc and could start harboring all kinds of 'vermin'. Since it would only be open on HIS side, he gets them!
2) You might check your local zoning and/or deed restrictions to see if there are any local regulations that prohibit his 'tying' to your fence or the use of chainlink (or chicken wire) fencing.
3) You can consider removing a few boards (every other one?) and seeing how your neighbor likes his new 'see through' fence. Maybe he likes HIS privacy too much and will 'solid' his fence.
4) Be creative. Hell, open up that side of the fence and put a few pigs or chickens over there (chicken wire your own small 'pen' to keep them near HIS chickenwire). You can even wood fence them in with a gate to bring them food. Any luck at all and they will tear down HIS chickenwire and eat his prized roses!!

Can he do this:
Regretably, I can't find any statutory reason preventing him.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">