• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor from Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heygrape

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Illinois

My son bought this house for me to live in 10 or so years ago. Everything was fine until the neighbors from Hell bought the house next door to me.

There is a drainage pipe running through my property that empties the street water into the park behind me. Everything was fine until the neighbor started throwing his yard waste and wheelbarrows full of leftover sand from a patio project into the storm sewer in the street. I saw him doing it and I immediately went over there and begged him to stop. He refused.

Over the months all the yard waste and sand have made their way to the end of the pipe and spilled out. This has built up the park land so that now the water doesn't flow smoothly anymore and backs up onto my property. Imagine the water from a 3 block area all draining into One persons yard. The neighbor is still continueing to use the storm sewer as their private garbage can and they have a "we'll show you!" attitude towards me. I contacted the park district and the street storm sewer department. They both send letters of warning to this neighbor. And the sewer department said they won't be doing anything about the pipe because they want as many free emptying drainage pipes as possible. (You should see the mesquito problem I have from all the standing water.)

Then the real trouble started. The neighbor broke my window on my house, egged my house, and are now directing their underground sprinkler system directly at my 2 year old wooden shed. I called them to ask them to stop soaking down my shed with their sprinkler system. They called the police and told them I was harrassing. I spoke to the police and asked them to tell the neighbor to stop. The police said the neighbor was not doing anything illegal.

I called the police when they broke my window and the police wouldn't do anything. I called the police when they egged my house (I actually saw them) and the police said it would be my word against theirs even though I saw them do it. The police also said, "We have to protect their civil rights." When I asked if I have any civil rights, the cop just shrugged and didn't answer me.

I called the police when I and the neighbor across the street saw the rifle sticking out through the bushes and heard the shots. The police said, "Oh, it's only a BB Rifle" and did nothing.

Almost all the paint has washed off the shed. All I could think of at this point was to buy a tarp and wrap it around my shed to protect it from the twice daily soakings. This took me all day as I am disabled and it's very hard for me to climb ladders, etc. The neighbor turned me in because the tarp made my shed look unsightly. It did. It was embarrassing and I didn't know what else to do. I went to the city and explained to them why I had put the tarp on the shed and they said, "Too bad. You have 5 days to take it down." I asked if there was anything legal I could use to protect my shed. They said, "No. Repaint it. And you better keep that shed maintained or the neighbor can turn you in again and you will have to tear it down."

I was struggling to get a board up a extention ladder to cover my broken window that I can't afford to fix, when the neighbor came running out screaming at me, "I hope you fall off that ladder and break your (censored) neck!".

The policeman that lives down the street, who ironically is also the head of the neighborhood watch program, will not help anyone in need. All he does is boast about his wonderful neighborhood watch program on TV. He got robbed a few months ago and rather than deal with the problems we have here, he moved out.

I am not the first person to be victimized by this neighbor. This same neighbor stoned a ladys little poodle down the street and egged their house. When the ladys son came to protect her and got into a physical fight, the ladys son went to jail. That's how stupid our police department here is. It is a known fact in this city that the police don't care about anything but their paychecks. They have even been on TV denying that they don't care.

When these neighbors moved in the first thing the woman said to me was that they had had trouble with the neighbors where they lived before. Then the son said to me, "Is there any racist people in this neighborhood? If there are, we will run them out of the neighborhood!" I told them that they were not making a very good first impression. We have other black neighbors just 3 houses down and they are wonderful neighbors.

I apologize for the length of this post. Even with the length of this post, I've only told you about 1/10th of the hell that is going on here. I can't afford to move and am physically unable to do a move anyway. I don't dare call my son who owns this house and lives in California, because he will come to help me and end up in jail for trying to protect his mother. He couldn't sell it right now anyway because of all the damages caused by the neighbor and the street water problem.

Please give me a grain of hope if there is one. I'm so alone here and I'm down sick with chest pains and migraines most of the time from the stress I'm under. Are there any laws out there that can help me at all?

FarmerJ

Perhaps Its time for you to use a cam corder Or a web spy cam and start recording the nbr dumping at the storm drain. also consider looking for permanent siding for the shed . The recordings will give you evidence wether its another broken window or dumping or egging about the rifle Im sort of surprised Most PD atleast in urban areas do not take such matters lightly wether its a BB gun or a plastic toy .

H

heygrape

I forgot to say in my first post, I've been taking tons of pictures with a digital camera with a good zoom on it, showing them dumping into the drain sewer and other things too. I've shown the pictures to the police, street sewer department, block captain, alderman, and anyone else that will listen. It isn't helping but I'm still camped out at my windows taking pictures.

I need to get bars installed on my basement windows too. If I pass away or take a trip, they will break into the house before my son can get here. And, as usual, they will get away with it.

This area is rated high on the most desirable upper/middle class neighborhoods to live. And it was. I lived in peace until these awful people moved here.

J

justathought

If you've got the proof, you might also have yourself some civil actions. Hit them where it hurts--the wallet!

Last edited:
H

heygrape

I've been calling attorney after attorney all morning. They are actually admitting to me they have no expertise in this area. I don't know where to turn. I asked each of them who to call and none of them know. I have over $3,000 in damages so far.

I saw the neighbor measuring last night. It looks like they might be putting up a fence. I'm praying that it's a fence they are putting up and not more bushes for them to poke their rifle through.

What kind of legal case would this be called? What type of attorney am I looking for? Shouldn't this be something involving punitive because they are doing all this on purpose?

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
H

heygrape

Phone line cut yesterday.

Rockford, Illinois is a city where people who know how to work the system can move into a neighborhood and state their threats and intentions of what they will do to long term residents of the neighborhood that they don't like, and then carry out their threats AND get away with it.

I live with bricks going through my windows, damaged out buildings, eggs on my roof and windows, BB rifles sticking out through the bushes and shots going off, constant trespassing, flooding because of others waste being put in the sewer, and slander.

The people down the street get egged, their dog stoned, constant harrassment, and auto windows broken out.

The police won't help.
The cop that is the head of the entire city neighborhood watch program and actually lives in the neighborhood won't help. He just moves out.
The sewer department won't help.
The block captain won't help.
The alderman won't help.
The good neighbors are afraid to help for fear they will be the next victims.

THIS is MY Reality.

FarmerJ

Have you tried to contact a lawyer through this web site ? Last If you feel it will work go to the media with a nieghbor from hell story .

H

heygrape

Today the neighbor turned me in for not fixing the window they broke. It's been boarded up since last October. When the man from the city came out he said it's ok, just to take the board off of it. Sheesh, first the cop tells me to put a board on it and then the city tells me to take it off.

Then the man from the city aimed in on the "spite fence" that the neighbor put up last weekend. He said it was 1 1/2 feet too high. I begged him to let them leave it the way it is.

Then the neighbor comes out and shouts at me, "Wazza matter (censored)? Fence too high for you?" I shouted back, "No way!" and we proceed to get into it with the man from the city in between us. Scared the heck outta the man from the city. All he wanted to do at that point was get out of there, which is what he did.

Their neighbors vicious attempt to cause me yet further hell backfired. I asked the man from the city if we could just put dirt under the fence, could we still keep the height? He said yes, so I offered to pay for the dirt if the neighbor wanted me to, so we don't lose the height, but the neighbor just walked off in a huff still yelling obsenities.

I called my alderman and asked him if he could please tell me of a lawyer that could help me. He said I don't need a lawyer and I should just sit back and wait, and that he had another call and had to go.

For gods sake, wait for what? For them to break out more of my windows?

This city is so corrupt, even the newspapers won't say anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">