• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor-legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jadesmom

My neighbor works for the landlord and I suspect he is coming in when we are not home. Is this legal if there is no emergency? Also, can the landlord walk in at any time without an emergency. And this same neighbor is doing something illegal on the property. If I turn him in, does he get in trouble or the landlord?
Thanks,Jadesmom in NY

T

Tracey

No, your neighbor/landlord cannot enter your apt without reasonable notice or an emergency. However, you only say you suspect illegal entry. Unless you are willing to rent security cameras for a month to catch him, you can't really file charges against N or L for illegal entry or sue for abuse of access.

Write L (certified, return receipt) & say that you suspect N is entering your apt without notice at non-emergency times. If you catch N doing this, you'll sue L for abuse of access/trespassing. Next, turn N in to police. Send a copy of your report to L. That way, L can't claim he had 'no idea' that N was a bad person. If the conduct is bad enough, L may be forced to get rid of N or at least fire him. If L makes any effort to get rid of you, sue him for retaliatory eviction.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">