• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Wars...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Johnson

I was advised by our attorney at our first meeting, that disputes over land and property lines ie: easements etc are considered 'Neighbor Wars' and that monies for attorney and court fees are not awarded to the winning party if the case goes to litigation. Is this true? Johnson

T

Tracey

General rule:
Yes, unless the costs are due to N cutting trees on your property after you'd told N where you thought the property line was. In that case, N ends up paying triple damages for the trees (logging value/replacement value) + survey costs + court costs + attorney fees. If N doesn't do anything stupid, then the neighbor who thinks the property line is in the wrong place has to pay for the survey on their own.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">