• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors marking property line without surveyor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PeaceSeeker

What is the name of your state? Washington

My neighbors have placed a string and have informed me that it is the property line between my land and theirs. The shared corners were marked years ago by a surveyor who was hired by the previous owner of my property. Because there are trees on the boundary line, it is impossible to string a string directly between the two corner markers.

According to Washington State Law (WAC 196-24-110), any marking of property lines between two corner markers must be done by a registered surveyor. Also, the same law states that when marking the line between two corner markers the corners must be verified by a registered surveyor.

My question is:
Can I remove the string and return it to my neighbors with a copy of the state law?

I have already tried letters from my attorney with offers to attend mediation, which the neighbors have refused. They also refuse to hire a surveyor. What recourse do I have?

HomeGuru

PeaceSeeker said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My neighbors have placed a string and have informed me that it is the property line between my land and theirs. The shared corners were marked years ago by a surveyor who was hired by the previous owner of my property. Because there are trees on the boundary line, it is impossible to string a string directly between the two corner markers.

According to Washington State Law (WAC 196-24-110), any marking of property lines between two corner markers must be done by a registered surveyor. Also, the same law states that when marking the line between two corner markers the corners must be verified by a registered surveyor.

My question is:
Can I remove the string and return it to my neighbors with a copy of the state law?

I have already tried letters from my attorney with offers to attend mediation, which the neighbors have refused. They also refuse to hire a surveyor. What recourse do I have?

**A: hire your own surveyor to complete a survey and if the cave man string method is incorrect, you have the correct evidence as proof. Do not remove the string at this time. You may need to it later to wrap around your neighbors neck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">