• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

landry

neighbor has pine tree close to property line, 65` tall. all of limbs are on my side over my privacy fence,& half way over my pool.I asked him if i could trim it with me paying for it,he said no! now it is tearing up my pool,and trashing my back yard up with needles and cones. help in houston. [email protected]

D

David J. Miller

If it were me, I'd go ahead and trim the tree limbs since as you say, they are on your property. I would go one step further and send the bill to the neighbor requesting payment immediately. I'm sure he won't pay, in which case sue him in small claims court.

I am not an attorney, so check my statements with those of someone who is. The attorneys on this sight may be able to give you some specific statutes to review or you could take it upon yourself to serach your state statutes on this sight. Click state resources at top right.

T

Tracey

You may trim any limbs or roots that are on your side of the property line, as long as you don't cross the property line (on ground or in air) to do it. If this kills the tree, tough. He should have hired an arborist if he wanted to save the tree that much. Send him a certified letter saying your arborist will be there Thursday to remove any parts of the tree on your side of the property line. You'll also need to have the arborist root-prune by running a slicer/trencher down about 2 feet.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 17, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">