• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors who smoke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state? NJ

I recently moved into a condo in the country. We all have decks in the back, and now with the nice weather, I've been spending time sitting out there and also keeping my windows open when I leave for work. My neighbors are heavy smokers and they spend a lot of time sitting outside on their deck smoking. When I get home from work, my condo reeks of smoke. Also, I can't sit outside when they're around because of the smell and I can't invite people over because they're all bothered by it too. I asked them if they could smoke someplace else and they said it was their deck and they could do what they want. Any suggestions?

FarmerJ

What divides your deck from theres ? With the associations rules can you put any kind of privacy screen material up to serve as a windblock ? Other than telling you how to make a old fashioned stink bomb to set off everytime they are out on there deck I dont think there is too much else you could do especially since it is outside . perhaps you might consider closing all the windows on that side of the unit when they are out there to keep the smell out of your home .

JETX

Buy a couple of large oscillating fans and aim them back at the neighbors. Then when they light up... just blow the smoke back.

CGA

Halket: GREAT idea! I'm definitely going to do that. At least that way I can keep the windows open without coming home to a smokey condo. I moved out to the country so I could enjoy the fresh air, not smell someone else's cigarettes.

FarmerJ: The condo association hasn't really been set up yet. The condos are new construction so everyone is pretty much doing their own thing right now. The decks are about 20 feet apart so they aren't right next to my deck, but they are right next to my bedroom window.
The builder has even asked everyone to water their own lawns until the association is set up, even though they're still making us pay association fees. This doesn't seem right to me, so I haven't been watering the lawn (it's really just a patch of grass--a brown patch).

HomeGuru

Halket said:
Buy a couple of large oscillating fans and aim them back at the neighbors. Then when they light up... just blow the smoke back.
**A: At Home Depot, I saw a huge warehouse type fan that could blow a kid away.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:

**A: At Home Depot, I saw a huge warehouse type fan that could blow a kid away.
My response:

Hey, I've got the old Lockheed "Skunkworks" wind tunnel engine and propeller. Willing to sell for $8,000.00 plus shipping and handling.

You want to blow their smoke back? Baby, this is your answer. Not only will you blow their smoke back, but you also be able to blow them and their Condo back to North Carolina !

You gotta be careful though. If you push the green button with the controls set at "10", you risk a lack of oxygen behind the fan blades and could suffocate. While nature abhors a vacuum, this thing couldn't care any less about "nature" - - it just blows !

Batten down your furniture and your loved ones. You'll never have smoke trouble again !

IAAL

HomeGuru

Control tower this is countycondo...we have lift off control tower.....

Affirmative countrycondo, Roger over....countrycondo, it appears that the condo unit next to you is heading towards North Carolina, Roger.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">