• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New home build, major issues with home 6 months later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MML100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Good evening,
We closed on a new home build in July 2014. Six months later we have had several issues that have been fixed by the builders, but it hasn't been easy. It's been a lot of phone tag, no shows on days they were supposed to come make repairs (they have done this more times than they have showed up, make a time to come and never call or show up) and I've just had enough. The most major issues fixed at this point was electrical outlets in a bedroom that weren't working and our half bathroom sink would flood from the base when turned on. Now we are having worse issues. Tomorrow our builders are coming back to rip our the master bathroom bathtub and shower because the tiles are cracking and the bathtub has cracked on the outside (it's a plastic whirlpool tub). The maintenance man thinks the base isn't supported enough so when it's filled it is pulling down and cracking tiles and the tub, all the way into the shower which shares a tiled wall. We are also having to have our entire living area flooring ripped up and re-done. This includes our living and dining room and hallways. The slats are separating from each other randomly all over. The builders first tried to say they were going to push them together and glue them down, but I said absolutely not. They are supposedly bringing in a flooring company after Christmas to re-do all the floors.

I am so upset. This is a brand new home, and a HUGE headache at this point. I'm going to be without my bathroom for a week during repairs, and when my floors are fixed I have to move all my furniture and go through that mess as well. This also makes me worry about what else if wrong that won't show up until after our 1 year warranty is up.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do at this point? Have our warranty extended and something for the headache this has caused? Anything at all? I've never sued or anything of the sort, but at this point I feel like something should be done for us and the mess we are putting up with over a lazy builder who doesn't check the work of their contractors when building a home. I shouldn't have to go through demo of my bathroom and flooring 6 months later in a brand new home.

If anyone has any advice I would be very appreciative. I will also add, we went through a mess when we bought the home with our real estate agent working for the same company as the builders agent and giving up our fencing allowance without our permission and much, much more. The builders agent paid us the fencing allowance out of his own pocket and the builders did not give it back to him because they said it wasn't their problem. Which makes me wonder what else was done without my knowledge and being an inexperienced first time home buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">