• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New housing company trying to "fix" old housing companies mistakes from over 2 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tobyandcasey

New housing company trying to "fix" old housing companies mistakes from over 2 years

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in California, but it is regarding a housing management company in Hawaii

So over the last few months, it seems my husband and I have been wearing a "screw us" sign over our heads, and just when I thought it was all taken care of, I received a letter in the mail from a housing management company from the millitary housing unit we lived in over two years ago, asking for over $800 within the next five days....the thing is, this is a new company that just took over from the old company in may of this year. What I dont understand, is how is it legal for them to claim that we owe so much money now when the orignal company told us that we did not owe anything when we moved out. This new company told me they are going back over the old companys records and found some mistakes they made and are now trying to correct them by collecting the delinquencies...but 2 years later. Can they legally do this? Or would it just be a loss for them because it was the original companies mistake in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">