• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEW JERSEY Landlord put property up for sale NO NOTICE, NO NEW LEASE, NOW NO PRIVACY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JENFLYERS

My landlord put the property up for sale. Our notice was finding the real estate sign on the lawn. My questions are as follows: 1. Shouldn't we have been given notice and a new lease? 2. Shouldn't the real estate give us at least 24 hours notice to show the property? So far we have had multiple real estates come to show the property w/out notice. They have walked into our home, into our bedroom while we were sleeping, into the bathroom while we were in the bathroom, and into rooms when we were getting dressed. We do NOT want to finish out our lease, because the landlord signed a contract w/ the realestate that is over after out lease is up. We want to move now, have him keep our security of last month's rent...thus breaking out lease by 6 weeks. He is refusing to let us break the lease....but I feel he broke it when he put the house up for sale w/ no notice and the real estates having no regard for our privacy by not calling , or calling just minutes before they show it.

T

Tracey

1. No, they don't want to give you a lease because then they'd have to bribe you to leave before closing. They avoid that by going month-to-month.

2. They aren't allowed to show the place on less than 24 hours' notice. Write L & the realtor and inform them that the realtor is abusing the right of access to show the property to potential buyers by not giving 24 hours notice. You will not let people in if you don't get 24 hours notice & will call the police and charge the realtor & anyone with her with trespassing if she enters the house without giving 24 hours notice first. Then do it. You might consider filing trespassing charges now, since the abuse fo access has been so flagrant.

You can also sue L and ask the court to issue a restraining order against L AND R requiring 24 hours notice. You can ask for damages for R's outrageous conduct, since R was acting as L's agent when she walked in on you in the bathroom/bedroom/naked.

Hey, L wants to keep collecting rent, so L's ability to show the house is limited by your tenancy. Period. If L wants a free hand, L has to bribe you into leaving early. Make L pay through the nose to settle your abuse of access claim & get you to leave early.

Also, start attaching the chain so they can't walk in when you're home.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">