• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New lease after death of a co-owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bolio98

What is the name of your state? Virginia and West Virginia

My father passed away recently. He and my mother were "tenants by entirety, with the common law right of survivorship" on the deed for their principal residence (Virginia). They are titled the same way on a deed on a vacation house in West Virginia. They have a certification of satisfaction in both cases and own the properties free and clear.

Do I need to retitle or redeed the property in just my mothers name now. If so what type of deed would that be? I called the land records office and they suggested seeing a lawyer or going to a law library to draw up this new deed. They will simply record it at land records.new deed. They only record there.

HomeGuru

bolio98 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia and West Virginia

My father passed away recently. He and my mother were "tenants by entirety, with the common law right of survivorship" on the deed for their principal residence (Virginia). They are titled the same way on a deed on a vacation house in West Virginia. They have a certification of satisfaction in both cases and own the properties free and clear.

Do I need to retitle or redeed the property in just my mothers name now. If so what type of deed would that be? I called the land records office and they suggested seeing a lawyer or going to a law library to draw up this new deed. They will simply record it at land records.new deed. They only record there.
**A: no, you need not do anything except to make sure that the death certificate is recorded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">