• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New lien on an already sold property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbronto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
Hello, I purchased a brand-new-construction home here in California about one month ago with no special issues (clean title). Today, I received a letter from the cabinetmaker saying that the original owner and builder still owed him $15,000. He says in the letter that he's tried to collect for many months unsuccessfully. He then goes on to threaten that if he doesn't get paid within a week, he will put a lien on [now] my property. Is that possible? It doesn't sound right, but the disputed work physically sits in real property that I now own. Maybe the responsibility gets transferred to whoever the current owner is? Any help calming me down would be appreciated! Assuming (prematurely) I am in the right, is there any legal jargon that demands he stop harassing me for someone else's debt?
THANK YOU! :confused:
MichaelWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">