• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Neighbor Claims Squatter's Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AlisonK.

What is the name of your state? Iowa.

The home next door to my property has a new tenant.

Our properties have a shared driveway. This new tenant states that since he raked the leaves in the driveway, he can claim squatter's rights and block our shared driveway.

I've spoken with the Landlord, requesting that the tenant not block the driveway.

I've informed the new tenant that he does not have my permission to park on the driveway. (The property line evenly divides the drive.) This new tenant says he's studied the property lines and believes the driveway is fully on his property.

I've been the 'friendly' neighbor in this neighborhood for 12 years, and my home has been in my family for 30 years.

In the thirteen days since these people have moved in, I've been friendly and 'reminded' them on five occasions. It doesn't seem to be working.

Last night I made the mistake of popping out on my porch to request that they please move their car. (I can't access my back yard.) Ah, the story continues and involves a threat on my life.

The landlord is hesitant to do anything (she was my neighbor for 10 years, and always friendly, but has the financial burden of too many mortgages -- therefore she needs to keep this tenant.

What is my next course of action?

A

AlisonK.

Yes, I did call the police. After speaking with the officers, they went next door, where the tenant gave misinformation and stated that there was no threat to me.

The officers returned and presented the lies. Their advice was to get an attorney and to completely discontinue all contact with the encroaching neighbor.

HomeGuru

AlisonK. said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa.

The home next door to my property has a new tenant.

Our properties have a shared driveway. This new tenant states that since he raked the leaves in the driveway, he can claim squatter's rights and block our shared driveway.

I've spoken with the Landlord, requesting that the tenant not block the driveway.

I've informed the new tenant that he does not have my permission to park on the driveway. (The property line evenly divides the drive.) This new tenant says he's studied the property lines and believes the driveway is fully on his property.

I've been the 'friendly' neighbor in this neighborhood for 12 years, and my home has been in my family for 30 years.

In the thirteen days since these people have moved in, I've been friendly and 'reminded' them on five occasions. It doesn't seem to be working.

Last night I made the mistake of popping out on my porch to request that they please move their car. (I can't access my back yard.) Ah, the story continues and involves a threat on my life.

The landlord is hesitant to do anything (she was my neighbor for 10 years, and always friendly, but has the financial burden of too many mortgages -- therefore she needs to keep this tenant.

What is my next course of action?

**A: send a certified rrr letter to the owner to update her on the threat, harassment, abuse etc. THen file a small claims action against your neighbor. She does not need to keep that tenant as she could always find another one that will follow the rules. Don't fall for her sob stories. If she has too many mortgages, tell her to sell one of more of her properties.

Last edited:
A

AlisonK.

Thanks for the information and advice.

You are absolutely right. I have fallen for the sob story.

After searching for records today, I find that there hasn't been an inspection done on the property next door and that the city believes the home is owner occupied. I'm not sure what the ramifications of renting property that hasn't passed inspection, but I'm certainly curious.

My own deed (since I've taken the time to look at it) states that I own the east two feet of the neighbor's lot, together with the privilege of using the concrete driveway on the east portion of that same lot.

I plan to search the deed for the adjacent property for additional information.

I appreciate your advice and assistance.

HomeGuru

AlisonK. said:
Thanks for the information and advice.

You are absolutely right. I have fallen for the sob story.

After searching for records today, I find that there hasn't been an inspection done on the property next door and that the city believes the home is owner occupied. I'm not sure what the ramifications of renting property that hasn't passed inspection, but I'm certainly curious.

My own deed (since I've taken the time to look at it) states that I own the east two feet of the neighbor's lot, together with the privilege of using the concrete driveway on the east portion of that same lot.

I plan to search the deed for the adjacent property for additional information.

I appreciate your advice and assistance.

**A: ok, may the force be with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">