• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new owner x2 billing for repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cvemery

Expansion done in kitchen '92 by contractor that we cannot contact. House was sold in 8/97. House was sold again. New owner has since made new repairs to home that apparently related to expansion. Now she is billing for these repairs. Is this our responsibility? In dire need of advise since we do not have the resources to pay said bills.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cvemery:
Expansion done in kitchen '92 by contractor that we cannot contact. House was sold in 8/97. House was sold again. New owner has since made new repairs to home that apparently related to expansion. Now she is billing for these repairs. Is this our responsibility? In dire need of advise since we do not have the resources to pay said bills.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What party are you in this. Seller, Buyer, tenant, next contractor, owner 1, owner 2, owner 3, new owner, neighbor, distant cousin of original owner, daughter-in-law of favorite uncle, ex-wife of grandpa twice removed..........?

T

Tracey

Well, daughter-in-law of favorite uncle :) , you aren't liable unless: you knew the expansion work was defective before you sold the house in 97, AND intentionally covered up the defects or didn't disclose the defects to your buyer, AND the defects didn't show up until now AND there was no way either your buyer or the current owner should have been able to spot the defects. In other words, tell her to buzz off.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

C

cvemery

The property in my original inquiry is a house my parents sold in Florida in '97. The inspection report never mentioned anything regarding any problems. It just mentions some loose tiles, prior leakage, but no current moisture problems. The person who bought the house from my parents has sold this property. I don't know what that inspection report said, but I would imagine if she knew about this problem she would have either not bought it or had the repairs made prior to closing on the house. She has sent a certified letter, we believe has the bill, but we have not received it. Should we accept it or should we ignore it?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cvemery:
The property in my original inquiry is a house my parents sold in Florida in '97. The inspection report never mentioned anything regarding any problems. It just mentions some loose tiles, prior leakage, but no current moisture problems. The person who bought the house from my parents has sold this property. I don't know what that inspection report said, but I would imagine if she knew about this problem she would have either not bought it or had the repairs made prior to closing on the house. She has sent a certified letter, we believe has the bill, but we have not received it. Should we accept it or should we ignore it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can refuse the letter and have it returned to sender marked unclaimed. If by chance you do accept it, send your own certified letter back refuting the claims. You should categorically deny any and all responsibility and liability. This is a third party claim and your parents have no contractual relationship with the complainant whatsoever. They are barking up the wrong tree.

T

Tracey

I agree with HomeGuru. The leakage & lose tiles were known & there were no moisture problems when they sold the house. Your parents have no liability to the new owner. They should send back a certified letter denying any liability & telling NO to seek relief from her seller (parents' buyer).

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">