• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New roof that still leaks after 3 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rained on

Three years ago this June, I had a flat roof replaced. Each rainy season I add more buckets to the family room. I am now up to 16. The roofer has many excuses. Can't find the problem.Uses caulking. Leaves me a tarp for the carpet. Didn't know I'd been calling. Communications had been down for 2 weeks. Been on vacation. Didn't seem to find paper work,and on and on. Where do I go from here? I spent 1,200 on this roof.

P

Prairielaw

You have been pretty nice letting it go this long. If this was a job to replace the roof and you have had problems for 3 years, I would be taking the roofer to small claims court for the return of the money you paid or the cost to have someone else do the repairs. You could get the cost by getting an estimate from another roofer of what it would cost to stop from leaking. I would not wait any longer.

Here is an article on small claims court others have found helpful. <A HREF="http://www.prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?channelid=11&articleid=1347" TARGET=_blank>Success in Small Claims Court
</A>

------------------
Kevin O'Keefe
Founder & Fearless Community Leader
Prairielaw.com
"More people helping people with the law than anywhere."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rained on:
Three years ago this June, I had a flat roof replaced. Each rainy season I add more buckets to the family room. I am now up to 16. The roofer has many excuses. Can't find the problem.Uses caulking. Leaves me a tarp for the carpet. Didn't know I'd been calling. Communications had been down for 2 weeks. Been on vacation. Didn't seem to find paper work,and on and on. Where do I go from here? I spent 1,200 on this roof.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop being a wimp and put some rain on this roofer guys parade. Send a certified letter demanding a proper fix within 30 days, file a complaint with the Contractors License Board, BBB, Attorney Generals Office, State Office of Consumer Protection etc. Make sure that in your letter you state that the roof must be inspected by a licensed architect or certified roofing inspector and that the remedial work must conform to the manufacturers specifications. The applicable State, contractors and roofing manufacturers express and implied warranties start when the roof is properly constructed and repaired.
A roofer does not need paperwork to fix a roof. He can not find the source of the leaks because he is not a professional. Caulking and a tarp are real and approved roofing material to be used on flat roofs and a bad roofer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">