• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ- how to evict houseshare with month-to-month oral lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I own my house and have rented a bedroom to someone who also shares the common areas of the house. At first we had a written 4-month lease. When it lapsed, the person continued to stay on via oral month-to-month basis for several more months. Long story short: the person pays rent and bills on time, BUT is crazy, manipulative, angry, delusional, nosey, aggressive, makes personal written and verbal attacks on me, and is obsessed with one of my pets and does not follow the rules regarding that pet! I fear for the safety of my property and pets, and myself. I am willing to give person 30 days (one month) notice at end of month. But am worried that due to person's mental instability that it may not go smoothly. Can I protect myself in any way before giving person notice. Should I give person notice in writing? I just want peace in my life again and tired of leaving in fear! Help!!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I own my house and have rented a bedroom to someone who also shares the common areas of the house. At first we had a written 4-month lease. When it lapsed, the person continued to stay on via oral month-to-month basis for several more months. Long story short: the person pays rent and bills on time, BUT is crazy, manipulative, angry, delusional, nosey, aggressive, makes personal written and verbal attacks on me, and is obsessed with one of my pets and does not follow the rules regarding that pet! I fear for the safety of my property and pets, and myself. I am willing to give person 30 days (one month) notice at end of month. But am worried that due to person's mental instability that it may not go smoothly. Can I protect myself in any way before giving person notice. Should I give person notice in writing? I just want peace in my life again and tired of leaving in fear! Help!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The notice has to be in writing and conform to your State L/T laws. The police should be called if there are any problems with the tenant.

J

JenniferS

I am also involved in a dispute in NJ (mine is tenant to subtenant but.. ) I've been doing some research and I came across a site that has been VERY helpful. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/
or type New Jersey Legislature into any search engine. Go to "Statutes" area and look under Title 2A chapter 18 - 61.1 "Grounds for removal of tenants".
There are other sections that may be of use to you as well. Take awhile to look around. There are certain sections that mention "distroying the peace and quiet of the occupants or other tenants living in said house.."
Hope this is helpful.
Jennifer

J

JenniferS

I am also involved in a dispute in NJ (mine is tenant to subtenant but.. ) I've been doing some research and I came across a site that has been VERY helpful. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/
or type New Jersey Legislature into any search engine. Go to "Statutes" area and look under Title 2A chapter 18 - 61.1 "Grounds for removal of tenants".
There are other sections that may be of use to you as well. Take awhile to look around. There are certain sections that mention "distroying the peace and quiet of the occupants or other tenants living in said house.."
Hope this is helpful.
Jennifer

J

JenniferS

Also..... keep all the written threats as proof against the individual!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">