• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no construction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goingsouth

My husband and I planned to build a home and business in a steel building,( as in commercial metal type), we live rurally on a small farm, and not restricted by codes, that prohibit this type of construction in residential areas. After selecting a contractor, and getting an agreeable quote : as far as what we were willing to spend,...started our project. One year and three unnecessary interest payments,: we have leaking windows, bogus tickets from suppliers in our construction files, we are out of money, and can't stop the leaks. Two weeks from closing after repeated attempts to get the contractor to do the things he needed to do, to stop the leaks, we are now in jepordy of loosing our farm, which we mortgaged for our home and shop. We feel like the contractor has stolen from us and tried to cover up, he tried to short us on insulation that was agreed upon, (we caught him!) , and he failed to finish basic structure construction, and we had to pay someone else to complete in order to sheet rock. He told us that we were fully paid to the electrician and now owe him $1700. more. Our business has been irreversibly damaged, because we can not move to new location. Then, Greenspan ups the rates, which due to wasted year, by the contractor for a project that could been completed before rates went up. The stress is taking toll on whole family. We feel like we need to sue the contractor, we haven't contacted banker yet , even though he is aware of some of the problems. We are trying to save face with the bank. Don't know which way to turn. By the way the leaks that are not addressed are doing extensive damage to walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, SCREWED IN TEXAS

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goingsouth:
My husband and I planned to build a home and business in a steel building,( as in commercial metal type), we live rurally on a small farm, and not restricted by codes, that prohibit this type of construction in residential areas. After selecting a contractor, and getting an agreeable quote : as far as what we were willing to spend,...started our project. One year and three unnecessary interest payments,: we have leaking windows, bogus tickets from suppliers in our construction files, we are out of money, and can't stop the leaks. Two weeks from closing after repeated attempts to get the contractor to do the things he needed to do, to stop the leaks, we are now in jepordy of loosing our farm, which we mortgaged for our home and shop. We feel like the contractor has stolen from us and tried to cover up, he tried to short us on insulation that was agreed upon, (we caught him!) , and he failed to finish basic structure construction, and we had to pay someone else to complete in order to sheet rock. He told us that we were fully paid to the electrician and now owe him $1700. more. Our business has been irreversibly damaged, because we can not move to new location. Then, Greenspan ups the rates, which due to wasted year, by the contractor for a project that could been completed before rates went up. The stress is taking toll on whole family. We feel like we need to sue the contractor, we haven't contacted banker yet , even though he is aware of some of the problems. We are trying to save face with the bank. Don't know which way to turn. By the way the leaks that are not addressed are doing extensive damage to walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, SCREWED IN TEXAS <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hire an attorney to help you file breach of contract, breach of express and implied warranties, failure to follow building codes and manufacturers specifications, etc. Water infiltration problems in a steel framed building is not good. I hope the contractor was licensed. You need to notify the mortgage company to let them know what is going on. They also have an interest in the property that needs to be protected. For help at the consumer level contact my friend Janet Ahmad, President of HOBB www.hobb.org Their main office is located in Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">